43 CFR 2.64 - Requests for access to records: Initial decision.
(a) Decisions on requests. A request made under this subpart for access to a record shall be granted promptly unless (1) the record was compiled in reasonable anticipation of a civil action or proceeding or (2) the record is contained in a system of records which has been excepted from the access provisions of the Privacy Act by rulemaking (§ 2.79).
(b) Authority to deny requests. A decision to deny a request for access under this subpart shall be made by the system manager responsible for the system of records in which the requested record is located and shall be concurred in by the bureau Privacy Act officer for the bureau which maintains the system, provided, however, that the head of a bureau may, in writing, require (1) that the decision be made by the bureau Privacy Act officer and/or (2) that the bureau head's own concurrence in the decision be obtained.
(1) No particular form is required for a decision granting access to a record. The decision shall, however, advise the individual requesting the record as to where and when the record is available for inspection or, as the case may be, where and when copies will be available. If fees are due under § 2.64(d), the individual requesting the record shall also be notified of the amount of fees due or, if the exact amount has not been determined, the approximate amount of fees due.
(ii) Contain a statement that the denial may be appealed to the Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration pursuant to § 2.65 by writing to the Privacy Act Officer, Office of the Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC 20240.
(iii) State that the appeal must be received by the foregoing official within twenty (20) working days of the date of the decision.
(3) If the decision denying a request for access involves Department employee records which fall under the jurisdiction of the Office of Personnel Management, the individual shall be informed in a written response which shall:
(iii) Advise the individual that an appeal of the denial may be made only to the Assistant Director for Workforce Information, Personnel Systems and Oversight Group, Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E Street NW., Washington, DC 20415.
(4) Copies of decisions denying requests for access made pursuant to paragraphs (c)(2) and (c)(3) of this section will be provided to the Departmental and Bureau Privacy Act Officers.
(1) No fees may be charged for the cost of searching for or reviewing a record in response to a request made under § 2.63.
(2) Fees for copying a record in response to a request made under § 2.63 shall be charged in accordance with the schedule of charges contained in Appendix A to this part, unless the official responsible for processing the request determines that reduction or waiver of fees is appropriate.
(3) Where it is anticipated that fees chargeable in connection with a request will exceed the amount the person submitting the request has indicated a willingness to pay, the official processing the request shall notify the requester and shall not complete processing of the request until the requester has agreed, in writing, to pay fees as high as are anticipated.
[40 FR 44505, Sept. 26, 1975, as amended at 48 FR 56585, Dec. 22, 1983; 53 FR 3749, Feb. 9, 1988]
Title 43 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.