43 CFR 2.65 - Requests for notification of existence of records and for access to records: Appeals.
(a) Right of appeal. Except for appeals pertaining to Office of Personnel Management records, individuals who have been notified that they are not entitled to notification of whether a system of records contains records pertaining to them or have been denied access, in whole or part, to a requested record may appeal to the Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration.
(1) An appeal must be received by the Privacy Act Officer no later than twenty (20) working days after the date of the initial decision on a request.
(2) The Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration may, for good cause shown, extend the time for submission of an appeal if a written request for additional time is received within twenty (20) working days of the date of the initial decision on the request.
(1) An appeal shall be in writing and shall attach copies of the initial request and the decision on the request.
(2) The appeal shall contain a brief statement of the reasons why the appellant believes the decision on the initial request to have been in error.
(3) The appeal shall be addressed to Privacy Act Officer, Office of the Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC 20240.
(1) Appeals from decisions on initial requests made pursuant to §§ 2.61 and 2.63 shall be decided for the Department by the Assistant Secretary—Policy, Budget and Administration or an official designated by the Assistant Secretary after consultation with the Solicitor.
[40 FR 44505, Sept. 26, 1975, as amended at 48 FR 56585, Dec. 22, 1983; 53 FR 3749, Feb. 9, 1988]
Title 43 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.