43 CFR Part 2, Appendix F to Part 2 - Mineral Leasing Act and Mineral Leasing Act for Acquired Lands-Special Rules
prev | next
Appendix F to Part 2—Mineral Leasing Act and Mineral Leasing Act for Acquired Lands—Special Rules
(a) Definitions. As used in the section:
(1) Exploration license means a license issued by the Secretary of the Interior to conduct coal exploration operations on land subject to the Mineral Leasing Act, under 30 U.S.C. 201(b), or subject to the Mineral Leasing Act for Acquired Lands, under 30 U.S.C. 351-360.
(2) Fair-market value of coal to be leased means the minimum amount of a bid the Secretary is willing to accept in leasing coal within leasing tracts offered in general lease sales or reserved and offered for lease to public bodies, including Federal agencies, rural electric cooperatives, or non-profit corporations controlled by any of such entities, under 30 U.S.C. 201(a)(1) or 30 U.S.C. 351-360.
(3) Information means data, statistics, samples and other facts, whether analyzed or processed or not, pertaining to Federal coal resources.
(b) Applicability. This Appendix applies to the following categories of information:
(1) Category A. Information provided to or obtained by a bureau under 30 U.S.C. 201(b)(3) (and corresponding information under 30 U.S.C. 351-360) from the holder of an exploration license;
(2) Category B. Information acquired from commercial or other sources under service contract with United States Geological Survey (USGS) under 30 U.S.C. 208-1(b) (and corresponding information under 30 U.S.C. 351-360), and information developed by USGS under an exploratory program authorized by 30 U.S.C. 208-1 (and corresponding information under 30 U.S.C. 351-360);
(3) Category C. Information obtained from commercial sources which the commercial source acquired while not under contract with the United States Government;
(4) Category D. Information provided to the Secretary by a Federal department or agency under 30 U.S.C. 208-1(e) (and corresponding information under 30 U.S.C. 351-360); and
(5) Category E. The fair-market value of coal to be leased and comments received by the Secretary with respect to such value.
(c) Availability of information. Information obtained by the Department from various sources will be made available to the public as follows:
(1) Category A—Information. Category A information must not be disclosed to the public until after the areas to which the information pertains have been leased by the Department, or until the Secretary determines that release of the information to the public would not damage the competitive position of the holder of the exploration license, whichever comes first.
(2) Category B—Information. Category B information must not be withheld from the public; it will be made available by means of and at the time of open filing or publication by USGS.
(3) Category C—Information. To the extent Category C information is proprietary, such information must not be made available to the public until after the areas to which the information pertains have been leased by the Department.
(4) Category D—Information. To the extent Category D information is proprietary, the Department will withhold the information from the public for the length of time the department or agency providing the information agreed to when it obtained the information.
(5) Category E—Information. Category E information must not be made public until the lands to which the information pertains have been leased, or until the Secretary has determined that its release prior to the issuance of a lease is in the public interest.
[67 FR 64541, Oct. 21, 2002]
Title 43 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.