44 CFR 204.54 - Appeals.
An eligible applicant, subgrantee, or grantee may appeal any determination we make related to an application for the provision of Federal assistance according to the procedures below.
(a) Format and content. The applicant or subgrantee will make the appeal in writing through the grantee to the Regional Administrator . The grantee will review and evaluate all subgrantee appeals before submission to the Regional Administrator . The grantee may make grantee-related appeals to the Regional Administrator . The appeal will contain documented justification supporting the appellant's position, specifying the monetary figure in dispute and the provisions in Federal law, regulation, or policy with which the appellant believes the initial action was inconsistent.
(1) The Regional Administrator will consider first appeals for fire management assistance grant-related decisions under subparts A through E of this part.
(2) The Assistant Administrator for the Disaster Assistance Directorate will consider appeals of the Regional Administrator's decision on any first appeal under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
(1) Appellants must file appeals within 60 days after receipt of a notice of the action that is being appealed.
(2) The grantee will review and forward appeals from an applicant or subgrantee, with a written recommendation, to the Regional Administrator within 60 days of receipt.
(3) Within 90 days following receipt of an appeal, the Regional Administrator (for first appeals) or Assistant Administrator for the Disaster Assistance Directorate (for second appeals) will notify the grantee in writing of the disposition of the appeal or of the need for additional information. A request by the Regional Administrator or Assistant Administrator for the Disaster Assistance Directorate for additional information will include a date by which the information must be provided. Within 90 days following the receipt of the requested additional information or following expiration of the period for providing the information, the Regional Administrator or Assistant Administrator for the Disaster Assistance Directorate will notify the grantee in writing of the disposition of the appeal. If the decision is to grant the appeal, the Regional Administrator will take appropriate implementing action.
(d) Technical advice. In appeals involving highly technical issues, the Regional Administrator or may, at his or her discretion, submit the appeal to an independent scientific or technical person or group having expertise in the subject matter of the appeal for advice or recommendation. The period for this technical review may be in addition to other allotted time periods. Within 90 days of receipt of the report, the Regional Administrator or Assistant Administrator for the Disaster Assistance Directorate will notify the grantee in writing of the disposition of the appeal.
Title 44 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.