(a) FEMA shall take no action unless and until the requirements of this regulation are complied with.
(b) It is the policy of the Agency to provide leadership in floodplain management and the protection of wetlands. Further, the Agency shall integrate the goals of the Orders to the greatest possible degree into its procedures for implementing NEPA. The Agency shall take action to:
(1) Avoid long- and short-term adverse impacts associated with the occupancy and modification of floodplains and the destruction and modification of wetlands;
(2) Avoid direct and indirect support of floodplain development and new construction in wetlands wherever there is a practicable alternative;
(3) Reduce the risk of flood loss;
(4) Promote the use of nonstructural flood protection methods to reduce the risk of flood loss;
(5) Minimize the impact of floods on human health, safety and welfare;
(6) Minimize the destruction, loss or degradation of wetlands;
(7) Restore and preserve the natural and beneficial values served by floodplains;
(8) Preserve and enhance the natural values of wetlands;
(9) Involve the public throughout the floodplain management and wetlands protection decision-making process;
(10) Adhere to the objectives of the Unified National Program for Floodplain Management; and
(11) Improve and coordinate the Agency's plans, programs, functions and resources so that the Nation may attain the widest range of beneficial uses of the environment without degradation or risk to health and safety.
Title 44 published on 2011-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.