45 CFR 1151.17 - Specific discriminatory actions prohibited.
(a) A recipient, in providing any aid, benefit, or service, either directly or through contractual, licensing, or other arrangements, shall not, on the basis of handicap:
(1) Deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to participate in or benefit from the aid, benefit, or service;
(2) Afford a qualified handicapped person an opportunity to participate in or benefit from the aid, benefit, or service that is not equal to that afforded others;
(3) Provide a qualified handicapped person with an aid, benefit, or service that is not as effective in affording equal opportunity to obtain the same result, to gain the same benefit, or to reach the same level of achievement as that provided to others;
(4) Provide different or separate aid, benefits, or services to handicapped persons or to any class of handicapped persons unless such action is necessary to provide qualified handicapped persons with aid, benefits, or services that are as effective as those provided to others;
(5) Aid or perpetuate discrimination against a qualified handicapped person by providing significant assistance to an agency, organization, or person that discriminates on the basis of handicap in providing any aid, benefit, or service to beneficiaries of the recipient's program or activity;
(6) Deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to participate as a member of planning or advisory boards; or
(7) Otherwise limit a qualified handicapped person in the enjoyment of any right, privilege, advantage, or opportunity enjoyed by others receiving an aid, benefit, or service.
(b) Despite the existence of separate or different aid, benefits, or services provided in accordance with this part, a recipient may not deny a qualified handicapped person the opportunity to participate in such aid, benefits, or services that are not separate or different.
(c) A recipient may not, directly or through contractual or other arrangements, utilize criteria or methods of administration:
(1) That have the effect of subjecting qualified handicapped persons to discrimination on the basis of handicap;
(2) That have the purpose or effect of defeating or substantially impairing accomplishment of the objectives of the recipient's program or activity with respect to handicapped persons; or
(3) That perpetuate the discrimination of another recipient if both recipients are subject to common administrative control or are agencies of the same state.
(1) That have the effect of excluding handicapped persons from, denying them the benefits of, or otherwise subjecting them to discrimination under any program or activity that receives federal financial assistance; or
(2) That have the purpose or effect of defeating or substantially impairing the accomplishment of the objectives of the program or activity with respect to handicapped persons.
(e) As used in this section, the aid, benefit, or service provided under a program or activity receiving federal financial assistance includes any aid, benefit, or service provided in or through a facility that has been constructed, expanded, altered, leased or rented, or otherwise acquired, in whole or in part, with federal financial assistance.
[44 FR 22734, Apr. 17, 1979, as amended at 68 FR 51384, Aug. 26, 2003]
Title 45 published on 2012-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.