45 CFR 1355.53 - Conditions for approval of funding.
(a) As a condition of funding, the SACWIS or TACWIS must be designed, developed (or an existing system enhanced), and installed in accordance with an approved advance planning document (APD). The APD must provide for a design which, when implemented, will produce a comprehensive system, which is effective and efficient, to improve the program management and administration of the plans for titles IV-B and IV-E as provided under this section.
(b) At a minimum, the system must provide for effective management, tracking and reporting by providing automated procedures and processes to:
(1) Meet the Adoption and Foster Care reporting requirements through the collection, maintenance, integrity checking and electronic transmission of the data elements specified by the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS) requirements mandated under section 479(b) of the Act and § 1355.40 of this part;
(2) Provide, for electronic exchanges and referrals, as appropriate, with the following systems within the State or Tribe, unless the title IV-E agency demonstrates that such interface or integration would not be practicable because of systems limitations or cost constraints:
(3) Support the provisions of section 422(a) by providing for the automated collection, maintenance, management and reporting of information on all children in foster care under the responsibility of the title IV-E agency, including statewide data (or in the case of a Tribal title IV-E agency, service area data) from which the demographic characteristics, location, and goals for foster care children can be determined;
(4) Collect and manage information necessary to facilitate the delivery of client services, the acceptance and referral of clients, client registration, and the evaluation of the need for services, including child welfare services under title IV-B Subparts 1 and 2, family preservation and family support services, family reunificication and permanent placement;
(7) Monitor case plan development, payment authorization and issuance, review and management, including eligibility determinations and redeterminations; and
(c) A system established under paragraph (a) of this section may also provide support in meeting the following program functions:
(1) Resource management, including automated procedures to assist in managing service providers, facilities, contracts and recruitment activities associated with foster care and adoptive families;
(2) Tracking and maintenance of legal and court information, and preparation of appropriate notifications to relevant parties;
(d) The system may also provide for interface with other automated information systems, including, but not limited to, accounting and licensing systems, court and juvenile justice systems, vital statistics and education, as appropriate.
(e) If the cost benefit analysis submitted as part of the APD indicates that adherence to paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section would not be cost beneficial, final approval of the APD may be withheld until resolution is reached on the level of automation appropriate to meet the title IV-E agency's needs.
(f) A Statewide or Tribal automated child welfare information system may be designed, developed and installed on a phased basis, in order to allow title IV-E agencies to implement AFCARS requirements expeditiously, in accordance with section 479(b) of the Act, as long as the approved APD includes the title IV-E agency's plan for full implementation of a comprehensive system which meets all functional and data requirements as specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section, and a system design which will support these enhancements on a phased basis.
(g) The system must perform Quality Assurance functions to provide for the review of case files for accuracy, completeness and compliance with Federal requirements, State standards and where applicable, Tribal standards.
[58 FR 67945, Dec. 22, 1993, as amended at 60 FR 26839, Mar. 19, 1995; 77 FR 933, Jan. 6, 2012]
Title 45 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.