45 CFR 233.60 - Institutional status.
(1) Federal financial participation under title I, X, XIV, or XVI of the Social Security Act is not available in payments to or in behalf of any individual who is an inmate of a public institution except as a patient in a medical institution.
(i) Federal financial participation under title X or XIV of the Social Security Act is not available in payments to or in behalf of any individual who is a patient in an institution for tuberculosis or mental diseases.
(ii) Federal financial participation under title XVI of the Social Security Act is not available in payments to or in behalf of any individual who has not attained 65 years of age and who is a patient in an institution for tuberculosis or mental diseases.
(i) Federal financial participation is available in payments for the month in which an individual (if otherwise eligible) became an inmate of a public institution, or a patient in an institution for tuberculosis or mental diseases;
(ii) Whether an institution is one for tuberculosis or mental diseases will be determined by whether its overall character is that of a facility established and maintained primarily for the care and treatment of individuals with tuberculosis or mental diseases (whether or not it is licensed);
(iv) An individual on conditional release or convalescent leave from an institution for mental diseases is not considered to be a patient in such institution.
(b) Definitions. For purposes of Federal financial participation under paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) Institution means an establishment which furnishes (in single or multiple facilities) food and shelter to four or more persons unrelated to the proprietor, and in addition, provides some treatment or services which meet some need beyond the basic provision of food and shelter.
(2) In an institution refers to an individual who is admitted to participate in the living arrangements and to receive treatment or services provided there which are appropriate to his requirements.
(3) Public institution means an institution that is the responsibility of a governmental unit or over which a governmental unit exercises administrative control.
(4) Inmate of a public institution means a person who is living in a public institution. An individual is not considered an inmate when:
(i) He is in a public educational or vocational training institution, for purposes of securing education or vocational training, or
(ii) He is in a public institution for a temporary emergent period pending other arrangements appropriate to his needs.
(ii) Has the necessary professional personnel, equipment, and facilities to manage the medical, nursing, and other health needs of patients on a continuing basis in accordance with accepted standards;
(iv) Is staffed by professional personnel who have clear and definite responsibility to the institution in the provision of professional medical and nursing services including adequate and continual medical care and supervision by a physician; sufficient registered nurse or licensed practical nurse supervision and services and nurse aid services to meet nursing care needs; and appropriate guidance by a physician(s) on the professional aspects of operating the facility.
(6) Institution for tuberculosis means an institution which is primarily engaged in providing diagnosis, treatment, or care of persons with tuberculosis, including medical attention, nursing care, and related services.
(7) Institution for mental diseases means an institution which is primarily engaged in providing diagnosis, treatment or care of persons with mental diseases, including medical attention, nursing care, and related services.
(8) Patient means an individual who is in need of and receiving professional services directed by a licensed practitioner of the healing arts toward maintenance, improvement, or protection of health, or alleviation of illness, disability, or pain.
[36 FR 3867, Feb. 27, 1971]
Title 45 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.