(a) To qualify for an endorsement as able seaman an applicant must:
(1) Be at least 18 years of age;
(2) Pass the prescribed physical and medical examination in § 10.215 of this subchapter;
(3) Meet the sea service or training requirements set forth in this part;
(4) Pass an examination demonstrating ability as an able seaman and lifeboatman; and,
(5) Speak and understand the English language as would be required in performing the general duties of able seaman and during an emergency aboard ship.
(b) An STCW endorsement, will be issued or renewed only when the candidate for certification as an able seaman also produces satisfactory evidence, on the basis of assessment of a practical demonstration of skills and abilities, of having achieved or maintained within the previous 5 years the minimum standards of competence for the following 4 areas of basic safety:
(1) Personal survival techniques as set out in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference in § 12.01-3).
(2) Fire prevention and fire-fighting as set out in table A-VI/1-2 of the STCW Code.
(3) Elementary first aid as set out in table A-VI/1-3 of the STCW Code.
(4) Personal safety and social responsibilities as set out in table A-VI/1-4 of the STCW Code.
(c) An STCW endorsement as rating forming part of the navigational watch will be issued or renewed when the candidate for an endorsement meets the requirements of STCW Regulation II/4 and of Section A-II/4 of the STCW Code (incorporated by reference, see § 12.01-3).
[CGD 80-131, 45 FR 69240, Oct. 20, 1980, as amended by CGD 95-062, 62 FR 34537, June 26, 1997; CGD 95-062, 62 FR 40140, July 25, 1997; USCG-1999-5610, 67 FR 66068, Oct. 30, 2002; USCG-2006-24371, 74 FR 11256, Mar. 16, 2009]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 46.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.