46 CFR 160.066-7 - Performance requirements.
(1) Burn “vivid red” when tested as specified in § 160.021-4(d)(7) for at least 5.5 seconds.
I × T = Cm
I=the luminous intensity measured as in subsection (c);
T=the total burn time of the device in minutes; and
Cm=the candle-minute rating of the device.
(5) Function in a manner that would not cause burns or injury to an unprotected person firing the signal in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
(6) Not malfunction in a manner that would cause burns or injury to an unprotected person firing the signal in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
(2) If protected by a sealed container, submersion in water for 24 hours inside the sealed container immediately followed by submersion for 10 minutes without the container, and
(3) Being exposed to the Elevated Temperature, Humidity, and Storage Test in § 160.066-13(b).
(c) Testing for burn time and luminous intensity pursuant to paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2), respectively, shall be conducted in conformity with the following requirements and procedures:
(2) The chart sweep of the light measuring equipment shall not be slower than .5 seconds for full scale;
(4) The time during which the candle burns (excluding first and last seconds of burn) is to be used to determine the luminous intensity by averaging the readings taken during the burning; and
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.