(3) When worn inflated, have a visible external surface area of at least 1300 sq. cm (200 sq. in.) in front and 450 sq. cm (70 sq. in.) in back that are primarily vivid reddish orange as defined by sections 13 and 14 of the “Color Names Dictionary”;
(4) Have at least one inflation chamber, except that a hybrid PFD approved as a SOLAS lifejacket must have at least two inflation chambers;
(5) Have at least one manual inflation mechanism.
(6) Have at least one automatic inflation mechanism that inflates at least one chamber; and
(7) Not require second stage donning after inflation.
(8) If approved for adults, be universally sized as specified in § 160.077-15(b)(7).
(9) Commercial hybrid PFDs employing closures with less than 1600 N (360 lb) strength, must have at least two closures that meet UL 1517, Section 22.1.
(10) Each commercial hybrid PFD must have an attachment for a PFD light securely fastened to the front shoulder area. The location should be such that if the light is attached it will not damage or impair the performance of the PFD.
(11) In the deflated and the inflated condition, provide buoyancies of at least the values in Table 160.077-17(b)(11).
Table 160.077-17(b)(11)—Minimum Buoyancy of Type I and Commercial Hybrid PFDs
Inherent buoyancy (deflated condition):
70 N (15.5 lb)
50 N (11 lb)
40 N (9 lb)
60 N (13 lb)
34 N (7.5 lb)
Total buoyancy (inflated condition):
130 N (30 lb)
80 N (18 lb)
67 N (15 lb)
100 N (22 lb)
67 N (15 lb)
[CGD 78-174, 50 FR 33928, Aug. 22, 1985, as amended by CGD 78-174, 60 FR 2487, Jan. 9, 1995]
Title 46 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 46.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.