46 CFR 160.156-9 - Preapproval review.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, the Commandant must conduct the preapproval review, required by this section, in accordance with 46 CFR 159.005-5.
(b) Manufacturer requirements. To seek Coast Guard approval of a rescue boat, the manufacturer must submit an application to the Commandant meeting the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5 for preapproval review. To meet the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5(a)(2), the manufacturer must submit in triplicate—
(1) A list of drawings, specifications, manuals, and any other documentation submitted, with each document identified by number, title, revision issue, and date;
(4) A complete material list, with each material referenced to a U.S. national standard or, if a copy is provided in English, an equivalent international standard;
(6) Hull, canopy, and critical parts lay-up schedule for Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) rescue boats, including fast rescue boats;
(7) Hull and canopy construction drawings, including particulars of joints, welds, seams, and other fabricating details;
(8) Weights and thickness of each major FRP structural component, including the hull, canopy, and inner liners, before outfitting;
(9) Specification and identification of materials such as steel, aluminum, resin, foam, fiberglass, coated fabric, and plastic used in the rescue boat's manufacture;
(10) Fabrication details for each major structural component, including details of each welded joint;
(18) Stability data, including righting arm curves in the light load and load condition for both intact and flooded;
(19) Drawings of all signs and placards, showing actual inscription, format, color, size, and location on the rescue boat;
(ii) Complete details of the lifting arrangement to include enough detail for operators of the rescue boat to select a suitable release mechanism approved under subpart 160.133 or 160.170 of this part;
(21) An operation, maintenance, and training manual as described in §§ 160.156-19 and 160.156-21 of this subpart;
(22) A description of the quality control procedures and record keeping that will apply to the production of the rescue boat, which must include but is not limited to—
(iii) The method for checking quality of fabrication, seams, and joints, including welding inspection procedures; and
(iv) The inspection checklists used during various stages of fabrication to assure that the approved lifeboat complies with the approved plans and the requirements of this subpart;
(24) Any other drawing(s) necessary to show that the rescue boat complies with the requirements of this subpart;
(25) The location or address of all manufacturing sites, including the name and address of any subcontractors, where the rescue boat will be constructed; and
(26) The name of the independent laboratory that will perform the duties prescribed in §§ 160.156-11 and 160.156-15 of this subpart.
(c) At the request of the manufacturer and discretion of the Commandant, an independent laboratory may conduct preapproval review required by this section so long as the preapproval review is conducted in accordance with the procedures agreed upon between the independent laboratory and Commandant under 46 CFR part 159, subpart 159.010.
(1) Be provided in English, including all notes, inscriptions, and designations for configuration control;
(2) Address each of the applicable items in paragraph (b) of this section in sufficient detail to show that the lifeboat meets the construction requirements of this subpart;
(6) If reviewed by an independent laboratory under paragraph (c) of this section, include the independent laboratory's attestation that the plans meet the quality requirements of this section.
(e) Alternatives. Alternatives in materials, parts, or construction, and each item replaced by an alternative, must be clearly indicated as such in the plans and specifications submitted to the Commandant under this section.
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.