(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, the Commandant must conduct the preapproval review, required by this section, in accordance with 46 CFR 159.005-5.
(b)Manufacturer requirements. To seek Coast Guard approval of a release mechanism, the manufacturer must submit an application to the Commandant meeting the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5 for preapproval review. To meet the requirements of 46 CFR 159.005-5(a)(2), the manufacturer must submit in triplicate—
(1) A list of drawings, specifications, manuals, and any other documentation submitted, with each document identified by number, title, revision issue, and date;
(2) General arrangement and assembly drawings, including principal dimensions;
(3) Stress calculations for all load carrying parts, including the release hooks, release mechanisms, and connections;
(4) Hydraulic systems drawings and specifications, if installed;
(5) Drawings of all signs and placards showing actual inscription, format, color, and size;
(6) An operation, maintenance, and training manual as described in §§ 160.170-19 and 160.170-21 of this subpart;
(7) A description of the quality control procedures and recordkeeping that will apply to the production of the release mechanism, which must include but is not limited to—
(i) The system for checking material certifications received from suppliers;
(ii) The method for controlling the inventory of materials;
(iii) The method for checking quality of fabrication and joints, including welding inspection procedures; and
(iv) The inspection checklists used during various stages of fabrication to assure that the approved release mechanism complies with the approved plans and the requirements of this subpart;
(8) Full details of any other unique capability;
(9) Any other drawing(s) necessary to show that the release mechanism complies with the requirements of this subpart;
(10) The location or address of all manufacturing sites, including the name and address of any subcontractors, where the release mechanism will be constructed; and
(11) The name of the independent laboratory that will perform the duties prescribed in § 160.170-15 of this subpart.
(c) At the request of the manufacturer and discretion of the Commandant, an independent laboratory may conduct preapproval review required by this section, so long as the preapproval review is conducted in accordance with the procedures agreed upon between the independent laboratory and Commandant under 46 CFR part 159, subpart 159.010.
(d)Plan quality. The plans and specifications submitted to the Commandant under this section must—
(1) Be provided in English, including all notes, inscriptions, and designations for configuration control;
(2) Address each of the applicable items in paragraph (b) of this section in sufficient detail to show that the release mechanism meets the construction requirements of this subpart;
(3) Accurately depict the proposed automatic release hook;
(4) Be internally consistent;
(5) Be legible; and
(6) If reviewed by an independent laboratory under paragraph (c) of this section, include the independent laboratory's attestation that the plans meet the quality requirements of this section.
(e)Alternatives. Alternatives in materials, parts, or construction, and each item replaced by an alternative, must be clearly indicated as such in the plans and specifications submitted to the Commandant under this section.
(f)Coast Guard review. If the plans or specifications do not comply with the requirements of this section, Coast Guard review may be suspended, and the applicant notified accordingly.
Title 46 published on 2013-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 46.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.