(a) This subpart contains structural and performance standards and procedures for approval of inflatable lifejackets, as well as requirements for associated manuals, servicing programs, and shore-side service facilities.
(b) Other regulations in this chapter provide that inflatable lifejackets must be:
(1) Serviced annually at designated servicing facilities; and
(2) Maintained in accordance with their user manuals.
(c) Inflatable lifejackets approved under this subpart—
(1) Rely entirely upon inflation for buoyancy;
(2) Meet the requirements for lifejackets in the 1983 Amendments to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974 (SOLAS 74/83);
(3) Have performance equivalent to Type I Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's) with any one chamber deflated; and
(4) Are designed to be worn by adults.
Title 46 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 46.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.