(a) Cargo Preference Act of 1954 means section 901(b) of the Merchant Marine Act, 1936, as amended (46 U.S.C. 1241(b) ).
(b) Cargoes subject to the Cargo Preference Act of 1954, include equipment, material or commodities:
(1) Procured, contracted for or otherwise obtained within or outside the United States for the account of the United States;
(2) Furnished within or outside the United States to or for the account of any foreign nation without provision for reimbursement;
(3) Furnished within or outside the United States for the account of any foreign nation in connection with which the United States advances funds or credits or guarantees the convertability of foreign currencies.
(4) Procured, contracted for, or otherwise obtained within or outside of the United States with advance of funds, loans or guaranties made by or on behalf of the United States.
(c) Department or agency having responsibility under the Cargo Preference Act of 1954 means any department or agency of the Federal Government, administering a program that involves the transportation on ocean vessels of cargoes subject to the Cargo Preference Act of 1954. At present, these agencies include:
(1) Department of State.
(2) Department of Agriculture.
(3) Department of Defense.
(4) Post Office Department.
(5) General Services Administration.
(6) Export-Import Bank of the United States.
(7) National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
(8) Inter-American Development Bank.
(9) U.S. Information Agency.
(10) Department of Interior.
(11) Department of Commerce.
(12) Department of Treasury.
(13) Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
(14) Department of Housing and Urban Development.
(15) Department of Transportation.
(16) Atomic Energy Commission.
(17) Tennessee Valley Authority.
(18) Veterans Administration.
(19) Smithsonian Institution.
(20) Library of Congress.
(d) Liner parcel means any cargo, dry or liquid, normally carried under berth terms by common carriers in ocean trades.
(Reorganization Plans No. 21 of 1950 (64 Stat. 1273) and No. 7 of 1961 (75 Stat. 840) as amended by Pub. L. 91-469 (84 Stat. 1036) and Department of Commerce Organization Order 10-8 (38 FR 19707, July 23, 1973))