(a) Upon the request of the holder of the broadcast rights to a sports event, or its agent, no satellite carrier shall retransmit to subscribers within the area comprising the specified zone a “nationally distributed superstation” or “network station” carrying the live television broadcast of a sports event if the event is not available live on a television broadcast station meeting the criteria specified in § 76.128. For purposes of this section, if there is no television station licensed to the community in which the sports event is taking place, the applicable specified zone shall be that of the television station licensed to the community with which the sports event or team is identified, or, if the event or local team is not identified with any particular community, the nearest community to which a television station is licensed.
(b) Notification of the programming to be deleted pursuant to this Section shall include the following information:
(1) The name and address of the party requesting the program deletion;
(2) The date, time and expected duration of the sports event the television broadcast of which is to be deleted;
(3) The call letters of the nationally distributed superstation or network station(s) from which the deletion is to be made;
(4) The U.S. postal zip codes that encompass the specified zone.
(c) Notifications given pursuant to this section must be received by the satellite carrier:
(1) With respect to regularly scheduled events, within forty-eight (48) hours after the time of the telecast to be deleted is known; or, for events that comprise a season or pre-season period, fifteen (15) days prior to the first event of the season or pre-season, respectively; and no later than the Monday preceding the calendar week (Sunday-Saturday) during which the program deletion is to be made.
(2) As to events not regularly scheduled and revisions of notices previously submitted, within twenty-four (24) hours after the time of the telecast to be deleted is known, but in any event no later than twenty-four (24) hours from the time the subject telecast is to take place.
(d) A satellite carrier is not required to delete a sports event from an individual subscriber who is located outside the specified zone, notwithstanding that the subscriber lives within a zip code provided by the holder of the broadcast rights pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section.
(e) A satellite carrier is not required to delete a sports event if it has fewer than 1,000 subscribers within the relevant specified zone who subscribe to the nationally distributed superstation or network station carrying the sports event for which deletion is requested pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section.
(f) Notwithstanding paragraph (c) of this section, for sports events to be deleted on or before March 31, 2001, notification must be received by satellite carriers at least 60 full days prior to the day the telecast is to be deleted.
[65 FR 68101, Nov. 14, 2000, as amended at 68 FR 14341, Mar. 25, 2003]
Title 47 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 47.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.