47 CFR 80.179 - Unattended operation.
prev | next
The following unattended transmitter operations are authorized:
(a) EPIRB operations when emergency conditions preclude attendance of the EPIRB transmitter by a person.
(b) Automatic use of a transmitter during narrow-band direct-printing (NB-DP) operations in accordance with § 80.219.
(c) Automatic use of a transmitter during selective calling operations in accordance with § 80.225.
(d) Automatic use of a transmitter when operating as part of the Automated Maritime Telecommunications System (AMTS), an automated multi-station system for which provisions are contained in this part, or an automated public coast station.
(e) Automatic use of a VHF transmitter to send brief digital communications relating to the condition or safety of vessels while moored when all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The equipment must be using DSC in accordance with ITU-R M.493-13 and ITU-R M.541-9 (both incorporated by reference, see § 80.7), as modified by this section.
(2) Sensors must automatically activate the transmitter only under one or more of the following conditions:
(6) The call must employ a fixed format and must be in conformity with Recommendation 493 as follows:
Format specifier: Individual call—symbol 120 sent twice.
Address: 9 digit maritime mobile service identity of called station.
Category: Routine—symbol 100.
Self-identification: 9 digit ship station identity.
Message 1: Telecommand symbol 126 sent twice.
Message 2: Telecommand symbol 126 sent 6 times.
End of sequence: Symbol 127.
Error-check character: Check sum.
(7) Such transmissions are permitted only on channel 70 and the transmitter must be inhibited automatically whenever there is another call in progress on Channel 70.
(8) The call sequence for any one alarm must not be repeated until after an interval of at least five seconds. Further repetition is permitted only after intervals of at least fifteen minutes each. Repetitions following fifteen-minute waiting intervals must not exceed three.
Title 47 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.