Solicitations containing a testing and approval requirement shall—
(a) Provide, in the circumstance where the contractor is to be responsible for the first article approval testing—
(1) The performance or other characteristics that the first article must meet for approval;
(2) The detailed technical requirements for the tests that must be performed for approval; and
(3) The necessary data that must be submitted to the Government in the first article approval test report.
(b) Provide, in the circumstance where the Government is to be responsible for the first article approval testing—
(1) The performance or other characteristics that the first article must meet for approval; and
(2) The tests to which the first article will be subjected for approval.
(c) Inform offerors that the requirement may be waived when supplies identical or similar to those called for have previously been delivered by the offeror and accepted by the Government (see 52.209-3(h) and 52.209-4(i);
(d) Permit the submission of alternative offers, one including testing and approval and the other excluding testing and approval (if eligible under 9.306(c));
(e) State clearly the first article's relationship to the contract quantity (see paragraph (e) of the clause at 52.209-3, First Article Approval—Contractor Testing, or 52.209-4, First Article Approval—Government Testing);
(f) Contain a delivery schedule for the production quantity (see 11.404). The delivery schedule may—
(1) Be the same whether or not testing and approval is waived; or
(2) Provide for earlier delivery when testing and approval is waived and the Government desires earlier delivery. In the latter case, any resulting difference in delivery schedules shall not be a factor in evaluation for award. The clause at 52.209-4, First Article Approval—Government Testing, shall contain the delivery schedule for the first article;
(g) Provide for the submission of contract numbers, if any, to document the offeror's eligibility under 9.306(c);
(h) State whether the approved first article will serve as a manufacturing standard; and
(i) Include, when the Government is responsible for first article testing, the Government's estimated testing costs as a factor for use in evaluating offers (when appropriate).
(j) Inform offerors that the prices for first articles and first article tests in relation to production quantities shall not be materially unbalanced (see 15.404-1(g)) if first article test items or tests are to be separately priced.
[48 FR 42142, Sept. 19, 1983, as amended at 54 FR 34753, Aug. 21, 1989; 55 FR 25527, June 21, 1990; 60 FR 48237, Sept. 18, 1995; 62 FR 51270, Sept. 30, 1997]
Title 48 published on 2013-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 48.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.