49 CFR 1.54 - Delegations to all Secretarial Officers.
(a) This section sets forth general delegations to the Deputy Secretary, the Deputy Under Secretary, the General Counsel, the Inspector General and the Assistant Secretaries.
(1) Redelegate and authorize successive redelegations of authority granted by the Secretary within their respective organizations, except as limited by law or specific administrative reservation, including authority to publish those redelegations in appendix A of this part.
(2) Authorize and approve official travel (except foreign travel) and transportation for themselves, their subordinates, and others performing services for, or in cooperation with, the Office of the Secretary. This authority may be redelegated in accordance with regulations issued by the Assistant Secretary for Administration.
(3) Communicate directly with chairmen of Field Coordination Groups provided such communications are largely informational in character and do not conflict with program responsibilities of the operating administrations.
(5) Establish, modify, extend, or terminate standing committees within their specific areas of responsibility when directed or authorized to do so by the Secretary.
(6) Designate members of interagency committees when such committees are specifically concerned with responsibilities of direct interest to their office.
(7) Exercise the following authorities with respect to executive level positions (GS-16, 17, or 18 or equivalent) within their respective areas of responsibility:
(i) Determine how executive level positions will be filled; i.e., by reassignment, promotion, appointment.
(iii) Confer with the Administrators on selection criteria and candidates for an executive level position that is a counterpart of an activity or position in the Office of the Secretary.
(iv) Recommend final selection for executive level positions, subject to review by the Executive Committee of the Departmental Executive Personnel Board and approval by the Secretary and the Civil Service Commission.
(v) Serve as ad hoc member of the Departmental Executive Personnel Board at the call of the Chairman and serve on the Board's Executive Committee whenever matters involving their respective offices or a functional counterpart thereof in an operating administration are presented to the Executive Committee for its consideration.
(8) Enter into inter- and intra-departmental reimbursable agreements other than with the head of another department or agency (31 U.S.C. 686). This authority may be redelegated only to office directors or other comparable levels and to contracting officers.
(10) Exercise the authority of the Secretary to make certifications, findings and determinations under the Regulatory Flexibility Act (Pub. L. 96-354) with regard to any rulemaking document for which issuance authority is delegated by other sections in this part. This authority may be redelegated to those officials to whom document issuance authority has been delegated.
(11) Exercise the authority of the Secretary to resolve informal allegations of discrimination arising in or relating to their respective organizations through Equal Employment Opportunity counseling or the Alternative Dispute Resolution process and to develop and implement affirmative action and diversity plans within their respective organizations.
[Amdt. 1-113, 40 FR 43901, Sept. 24, 1975, as amended by Amdt. 1-114, 41 FR 1288, Jan. 7, 1976; Amdt. 1-157, 45 FR 83408, Dec. 18, 1980; Amdt. 1-159, 46 FR 22593, Apr. 20, 1981; Amdt. 265, 60 FR 2891, Jan. 12, 1995]
Title 49 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.