The Deputy Secretary may exercise the authority of the Secretary except where specifically limited by law, order, regulations, or instructions of the Secretary. In addition, the Deputy Secretary is delegated authority to:
(a) Exercise executive control over the Departmental Planning-Programming-Budgeting System.
(b) Serve as Chairman of the Departmental Executive Personnel Board and its Executive Committee.
(c) Originate direct correspondence to chairmen of Field Coordination Groups on overall Departmental matters.
(d) Approve the establishment, modification, extension, or termination of:
(1) Department-wide (intra-department) committees affecting more than one program.
(2) OST-sponsored interagency committees.
(3) All advisory committees (including industry advisory committees) except those sponsored by field activities of the operating administrations.
(e) Approve the designation of:
(1) Departmental representatives and the chairman for interagency committees sponsored by the Office of the Secretary.
(2) Departmental representatives on all advisory committees except those sponsored by a field component of one of the operating administrations or the Materials Transportation Bureau.
(3) Departmental members for international committees.
(f) Authorize and approve official travel and transportation for self, subordinates, and others performing services for or in cooperation with the Office of the Secretary; and authorize and approve official foreign travel of all Departmental personnel and others performing travel for the Department.
(g) Serve as the representative of the Secretary on the board of directors of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation and carry out the functions vested in the Secretary as a member of the board by section 303 of the Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970 (84 Stat. 1330).
(h) Serve as the representative of the Secretary as incorporator, member of the acting board of directors, member of the board of directors, and member of the executive committee of the board of directors, of the United States Railway Association and when so serving carry out the functions vested in the Secretary in each capacity by title II of the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 (Pub. L. 93-236), as amended.
(i) Serve as the representative of the Secretary as incorporator, member of the interim board of directors established by section 301(c) of the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 (Pub. L. 93-236), and member of the board of directors, of the Consolidated Rail Corporation and when so serving carry out the functions vested in the Secretary in each capacity by title III of the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 (Pub. L. 93-236).