49 CFR 1.56a - Delegations to the Assistant Secretary for Aviation and International Affairs.
The Assistant Secretary for Aviation and International Affairs is delegated authority to:
(a) Represent the Secretary of Transportation on various interagency boards, committees, and commissions to include the Trade Policy Review Group and the Trade Policy Staff Committee.
(b) Except with respect to proceedings under section 4(e) of the Department of Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 307) relating to safety fitness of an applicant, decide on requests to intervene or appear before administrative agencies to present the views of the Department subject to concurrence by the General Counsel.
(c) Carry out the functions of the Secretary pertaining to aircraft with respect to Transportation Orders T-1 and T-2 (44 CFR chapter IV) under the Act of September 8, 1950, as amended (50 U.S.C. app. 2061 et seq.) and Executive Order No. 10480 (3 CFR, 1949-1953 comp., p. 962), as amended.
(d) Serve as Department of Transportation member of the Interagency Group on International Aviation, and pursuant to Executive Order No. 11382 (3 CFR, 1966-1970 comp., p. 691), as amended, serve as Chair of the Group.
(e) Serve as second alternate representing the Secretary of Transportation to the Trade Policy Committee as mandated by Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1979 (5 U.S.C. app. at 1381 (1988)) and Executive Order No. 12188 (3 CFR, 1980 comp., p. 131), as amended.
(1) As supplemented by 14 CFR part 385, as limited by paragraph (f)(2) of this section, and except as provided in §§ 1.53(g), 1.57(a), and 1.57(s) of this title, carry out the functions transferred to the Department from the Civil Aeronautics Board under the following statutes:
(ii) Section 4(a)(1) through (4), (6), and (8) through (10) of the Civil Aeronautics Board Sunset Act of 1984 (49 U.S.C. app. 1553(a)(1) through (4), (6), and (8) through (10)).
(2) Insofar as the delegation in this paragraph (f) authorizes review of decisions of the Designated Senior Career Official in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Aviation and International Affairs under § 1.56b of this title, the authority is limited to approving any such decision or remanding it for reconsideration by the Designated Senior Career Official, with a full written explanation of the basis for the remand.
(g) Carry out the functions vested in the Secretary by the following subsections of section 1115 of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, as amended, which relates to the security of foreign airports:
(1) Subsection 1115(e)(1), in coordination with the General Counsel, and the Federal Aviation Administrator; and
(2) Subsection 1115(e)(3), in coordination with the General Counsel, the Federal Aviation Administrator, the Assistant Secretary for Governmental Affairs, and the Assistant Secretary for Administration.
(1) Section 4(a)(5) of the Civil Aeronautics Board Sunset Act of 1984 (49 U.S.C. app. 1553(a)(5)) relating to enforcement of the Consumer Credit Protection Act;
(2) Sections 101(3) (relating to relieving certain carriers from provisions of the Federal Aviation Act), 204 (relating to taking such actions and issuing such regulations as may be necessary to carry out responsibilities under the Act), 404 (relating to enforcing the duty of carriers to provide safe and adequate service), 407(a) (relating to requiring the production of information), 407(e) (relating to entering carrier property, and inspecting records), 411 (relating to determining whether any carrier or ticket agent is engaged in unfair or deceptive practices or unfair methods of competition), and 416 (relating to establishing just and reasonable classifications of carriers and rules to be followed by each) of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958, as amended, (49 U.S.C. 1301(3), 1324, 1374, 1377 (a) and (e), 1381, and 1386) as appropriate to the consumer protection functions in this paragraph.
(i) Carry out the functions of the Secretary pertaining to a determination of whether a fee imposed upon one or more air carriers by the owner or operator of an airport is reasonable under section 113 of the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994 (August 23, 1994; Pub. L. 103-305; 108 Stat. 1577-1579).
(j) Carry out section 101(a)(2) of the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act (Public Law 107-42, 115 Stat. 230), as delegated to the Secretary of Transportation by the President pursuant to a Presidential Memorandum dated September 25, 2001.
[Amdt. 1-261, 59 FR 10063, Mar. 3, 1994, as amended by Amdt. 1-266, 60 FR 11046, Mar. 1, 1995; Amdt. 1-269, 60 FR 15877, Mar. 28, 1995; 66 FR 55599, Nov. 2, 2001]
Title 49 published on 2013-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.