(a) Except for transportation by aircraft, polyester resin kits consisting of a base material component (Class 3, Packing Group II or III) and an activator component (Type D, E, or F organic peroxide which does not require temperature control)—
(1) The organic peroxide component must be packed in inner packagings not over 125 mL (4.22 ounces) net capacity each for liquids or 500 g (17.64 ounces) net capacity each for solids;
(2) The flammable liquid component must be packed in inner packagings not over 5 L (1.3 gallons) net capacity each for Packing Group II or III liquid; and
(3) The flammable liquid component and the organic peroxide component may be packed in the same strong outer packaging provided they will not interact dangerously in the event of leakage.
(b) For transportation by aircraft, polyester resin kits consisting of a base material component (Class 3, Packing Group II or III) and an activator component (Type D, E, or F organic peroxide which does not require temperature control)—
(1) The organic peroxide component is limited to a quantity of 125 mL (4.22 ounces) per inner packaging if liquid, and 500 g (1 pound) if solid. The base material is limited to a quantity of 5 L (1.3 gallons) in metal or plastic inner packagings and 1 L (0.3 gallons) in glass inner packagings;
(2) The components may be placed in the same outer packaging provided they will not interact dangerously in the event of leakage;
(3) Packing group will be II or III, according to the criteria for Class 3, applied to the base material. Additionally, unless otherwise excepted in this subchapter, polyester resin kits must be packaged in specification combination packagings based on the performance level required of the base material (II or III) contained within the kit;
(4) Closures must be secured by secondary means;
(5) Inner packagings intended to contain liquids must be capable of meeting the pressure differential requirements prescribed in § 173.27(c) of this part; and
(6) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, exceptions for polyester resin kits intended for transportation by aircraft are provided in §§ 173.4a (excepted quantities) and 173.27(f) (limited quantities) of this part.
(c) Consumer commodities. Until December 31, 2013, a limited quantity package containing a “consumer commodity” as defined in § 171.8 of this subchapter may be renamed “Consumer commodity” and reclassed as ORM-D or, until December 31, 2012, ORM-D-AIR material and offered for transportation and transported in accordance with the applicable provisions of this subchapter in effect on October 1, 2010.
[76 FR 3376, Jan. 19, 2011]
Title 49 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 49.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.