49 CFR 173.224 - Packaging and control and emergency temperatures for self-reactive materials.
(a) General. When the § 172.101 table of this subchapter specifies that a Division 4.1 material be packaged in accordance with this section, only packagings which conform to the provisions of this section may be used. Each packaging must conform to the general packaging requirements of subpart B of this part and the applicable requirements of part 178 of this subchapter. Non-bulk packagings must meet Packing Group II performance levels. To avoid unnecessary confinement, metallic non-bulk packagings meeting Packing Group I are not authorized. Self-reactive materials which require temperature control are subject to the provisions of § 173.21(f). Packagings required to bear a Class 1 subsidiary label must conform to §§ 173.60 through 173.62.
(b) Self-Reactive Materials Table. The Self-Reactive Materials Table specifies, by technical name, those self-reactive materials that are authorized for transportation and not subject to the approval provisions of § 173.124(a)(2)(iii). A self-reactive material identified by technical name in the following table is authorized for transportation only if it conforms to all applicable provisions of the table. The column headings of the Self-Reactive Materials Table are as follows:
(2) ID number. Column 2 specifies the identification number which is used to identify the proper shipping name in the § 172.101 table.
(3) Concentration of self-reactive material. Column 3 specifies the concentration (percent) limitations, if any, in mixtures or solutions for the self-reactive material. Limitations are given as minimums, maximums, or a range, as appropriate. A range includes the lower and upper limits (i.e., “53-100” means from, and including, 53 percent to, and including 100 percent).
(4) Packing method. Column 4 specifies the highest packing method which is authorized for the self-reactive material. A packing method corresponding to a smaller package size may be used, but a packing method corresponding to a larger package size may not be used. The Table of Packing Methods in § 173.225(d) defines the packing methods. Bulk packagings for Type F self-reactive substances are authorized by § 173.225(f) for IBCs and § 173.225(h) for bulk packagings other than IBCs. Additional bulk packagings are authorized if approved by the Associate Administrator.
(5) Control temperature. Column 5 specifies the control temperature in °C. Temperatures are specified only when temperature controls are required (see § 173.21(f)).
(6) Emergency temperature. Column 6 specifies the emergency temperature in °C. Temperatures are specified only when temperature controls are required (see § 173.21(f)).
(7) Notes. Column 7 specifies other applicable provisions, as set forth in notes following the table.
|Self-reactive substance(1)||Identification No.(2)||Concentration—(%)(3)||Packing method(4)||Control temperature—(°C)(5)||Emergency temperature(6)||Notes(7)|
|Notes: 1. The emergency and control temperatures must be determined in accordance with § 173.21(f).|
|2. With a compatible diluent having a boiling point of not less than 150 °C.|
|3. Samples may only be offered for transportation under the provisions of paragraph (c)(3) of this section.|
|4. This entry applies to mixtures of esters of 2-diazo-1-naphthol-4-sulphonic acid and 2-diazo-1-naphthol-5-sulphonic acid.|
|Acetone-pyrogallol copolymer 2-diazo-1-naphthol-5-sulphonate||3228||100||OP8|
|Azodicarbonamide formulation type B, temperature controlled||3232||<100||OP5||1|
|Azodicarbonamide formulation type C||3224||<100||OP6|
|Azodicarbonamide formulation type C, temperature controlled||3234||<100||OP6||1|
|Azodicarbonamide formulation type D||3226||<100||OP7|
|Azodicarbonamide formulation type D, temperature controlled||3236||<100||OP7||1|
|2,2′-Azodi(isobutyronitrile) as a water based paste||3224||≤50||OP6|
|Benzene-1,3-disulphonylhydrazide, as a paste||3226||52||OP7|
|4-(Benzyl(ethyl)amino)-3-ethoxybenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3226||100||OP7|
|4-(Benzyl(methyl)amino)-3-ethoxybenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||100||OP7||40||45|
|3-Chloro-4-diethylaminobenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3226||100||OP7|
|2-Diazo-1-Naphthol sulphonic acid ester mixture||3226||<100||OP7||4|
|2,5-Dibutoxy-4-(4-morpholinyl)-Benzenediazonium, tetrachlorozincate (2:1)||3228||100||OP8|
|2,5-Diethoxy-4-morpholinobenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||67-100||OP7||35||40|
|2,5-Diethoxy-4-morpholinobenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||66||OP7||40||45|
|2,5-Diethoxy-4-(phenylsulphonyl)benzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||67||OP7||40||45|
|Diethylene glycol bis(allyl carbonate) Diisopropylperoxydicarbonate||3237||≥88 ≤12||OP8||−10||0|
|2,5-Dimethoxy-4-(4-methylphenylsulphony)benzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||79||OP7||40||45|
|4-Dimethylamino-6-(2-dimethylaminoethoxy)toluene-2-diazonium zinc chloride||3236||100||OP7||40||45|
|4-(Dimethylamino)-benzenediazonium trichlorozincate (-1)||3228||100||OP8|
|N,N′-Dinitroso-N, N′-dimethyl-terephthalamide, as a paste||3224||72||OP6|
|4-Dipropylaminobenzenediazonium zinc chloride||3226||100||OP7|
|2-(N,N-Ethoxycarbonylphenylamino)-3-methoxy-4-(N-methyl-N- cyclohexylamino)benzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||63-92||OP7||40||45|
|2-(N,N-Ethoxycarbonylphenylamino)-3-methoxy-4-(N-methyl-N- cyclohexylamino)benzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||62||OP7||35||40|
|2-(2-Hydroxyethoxy)-1-(pyrrolidin-1-yl)benzene-4-diazonium zinc chloride||3236||100||OP7||45||50|
|3-(2-Hydroxyethoxy)-4-(pyrrolidin-1-yl)benzenediazonium zinc chloride||3236||100||OP7||40||45|
|2-(N,N-Methylaminoethylcarbonyl)-4-(3,4-dimethyl-phenylsulphonyl)benzene diazonium zinc chloride||3236||96||OP7||45||50|
|Self-reactive liquid, sample||3223||OP2||3|
|Self-reactive liquid, sample, temperature control||3233||OP2||3|
|Self-reactive solid, sample||3224||OP2||3|
|Self-reactive solid, sample, temperature control||3234||OP2||3|
|Tetramine palladium (II) nitrate||3234||100||OP6||30||35|
(1) Except as provided for samples in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, no person may offer, accept for transportation, or transport a self-reactive material which is not identified by technical name in the Self-Reactive Materials Table of this section, or a formulation of one or more self-reactive materials which are identified by technical name in the table, unless the self-reactive material is assigned a generic type and shipping description and is approved by the Associate Administrator under the provisions of § 173.124(a)(2)(iii).
(2) Except as provided by an approval issued under § 173.124(a)(2)(iii), intermediate bulk and bulk packagings are not authorized.
(3) Samples. Samples of new self-reactive materials or new formulations of self-reactive materials identified in the Self-Reactive Materials Table in paragraph (b) of this section, for which complete test data are not available, and which are to be transported for further testing or product evaluation, may be assigned an appropriate shipping description for Self-reactive materials Type C, packaged and offered for transportation under the following conditions:
(i) Data available to the person offering the material for transportation must indicate that the sample would pose a level of hazard no greater than that of a self-reactive material Type B and that the control temperature, if any, is sufficiently low to prevent any dangerous decomposition and sufficiently high to prevent any dangerous phase separation;
(iii) Packages of the self-reactive material may be offered for transportation and transported in a quantity not to exceed 10 kg (22 pounds) per transport vehicle; and
[Amdt. 173-241, 59 FR 67511, Dec. 29, 1994, as amended by Amdt. 173-242, 60 FR 26806, May 18, 1995; Amdt. 173-246, 60 FR 49110, Sept. 21, 1995; Amdt. 173-256, 61 FR 51338, Oct. 1, 1996; Amdt. 173-261, 62 FR 24734, 24735, May 6, 1997; 62 FR 45702, Aug. 28, 1997; 64 FR 10779, Mar. 5, 1999; 65 FR 58630, Sept. 29, 2000; 66 FR 33431, June 21, 2001; 66 FR 45379, Aug. 28, 2001; 68 FR 45035, July 31, 2003; 69 FR 76159, Dec. 20, 2004; 71 FR 78633, Dec. 29,2006]
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.