Excepted packages for limited quantities of Class 7 (radioactive) materials.
(a) A Class 7 (radioactive) material with an activity per package which does not exceed the limited quantity package limits specified in Table 4 in § 173.425, and its packaging, are excepted from requirements in this subchapter for specification packaging, labeling, marking (except for the UN identification number marking requirement described in § 173.422(a) ), and if not a hazardous substance or hazardous waste, shipping papers, and the requirements of this subpart if:
(1) Each package meets the general design requirements of § 173.410 ;
(2) The radiation level at any point on the external surface of the package does not exceed 0.005 mSv/hour (0.5 mrem/ hour);
(3) The nonfixed (removable) radioactive surface contamination on the external surface of the package does not exceed the limits specified in § 173.443(a) ;
(4) The outside of the inner packaging or, if there is no inner packaging, the outside of the packaging itself bears the marking “Radioactive”;
(5) The package does not contain fissile material unless excepted by § 173.453.
(6) The material is otherwise prepared for shipment as specified in accordance with § 173.422.
(b) A limited quantity of Class 7 (radioactive) material that is a hazardous substance or a hazardous waste, is not subject to the provisions in § 172.203(d) or § 172.204(c)(4) of this subchapter.