49 CFR 176.340 - Combustible liquids in portable tanks.
prev | next
Combustible liquids, having a flash point of 38 °C (100 °F) or higher, may be transported by vessel only in one of the portable tanks as specified below:
(1) Each portable tank must conform to a DOT specification 57 portable tank, except as otherwise provided in this paragraph;
(2) The rated capacity of the tank may not exceed 4,542 L (1,200 gallons), and the rated gross weight may not exceed 13,608 kg (30,000 pounds);
(4) When the total surface area of the tank exceeds 14.9 square meters (160 square feet), the total emergency venting capacity must be determined in accordance with table I in § 178.345-10 of this subchapter;
(5) ln place of a specification identification marking, the tank must be marked, on two sides in letters at least 5 cm (2 inches) high on contrasting background: “FOR COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS ONLY” and “49 CFR 176.340”. This latter marking constitutes certification by the person offering the combustible liquid materials for transportation that the portable tank conforms to this paragraph;
(9) Each tank must be retested and marked at least once every 2 years in accordance with the requirements applicable to a DOT specification 57 portable tank in § 180.605 of this subchapter; and
(10) Each tank must conform to the provisions of § 173.24 of this subchapter and § 180.605(b) and (j) of this subchapter.
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.