49 CFR 231.12 - Passenger-train cars with wide vestibules.
(1) Number. Each passenger-train car shall be equipped with an efficient hand brake, which shall operate in harmony with the power brake thereon.
(2) Location. Each hand brake shall be so located that it can be safely operated while car is in motion.
(2) Dimensions. Minimum diameter, five-eighths of an inch, metal. Minimum clear length, 16 inches. Minimum clearance, 11/4, preferably 11/2 inches.
(i) Minimum diameters, five-eighths of an inch, wrought iron or steel. Minimum clear length, 16 inches. Minimum clearance, 2, preferably 21/2 inches.
(3) Location. Horizontal, one near each side on each end projecting downward from face of vestibule end sill. Clearance of outer end of handhold shall be not more than 16 inches from side of car.
(4) Manner of application. End handholds shall be securely fastened with bolts or rivets. When marker sockets or brackets are located so that they can not be conveniently reached from platforms, suitable steps and handholds shall be provided for men to reach such sockets or brackets.
(1) Uncoupling attachments shall be applied so they can be operated by a person standing on the ground.
(2) Minimum length of ground uncoupling attachment, 42 inches, measured from center line of end of car to handle of attachment.
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.