(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to all:
(1) Railroads that operate intercity or commuter passenger train service on standard gage track which is part of the general railroad system of transportation;
(2) Railroads that provide commuter or other short-haul rail passenger train service in a metropolitan or suburban area (as described by 49 U.S.C. 20102(1)), including public authorities operating passenger train service; and
(3) Passenger or freight railroads hosting the operation of passenger train service described in paragraph (a)(1) or (a)(2) of this section.
(b) This part does not apply to:
(1) Rapid transit operations in an urban area that are not connected with the general railroad system of transportation;
(2) Operation of private cars, including business/office cars and circus trains; or
(3) Tourist, scenic, historic, or excursion operations, whether on or off the general railroad system.
Title 49 published on 2013-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 49.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.