If I sell liability insurance coverage, what must I do?
(a) You, your employee, or an agent may sell, offer to sell, or procure liability insurance coverage for loss or damage to shipments of any individual shipper only when the individual shipper releases the shipment for transportation at a value not exceeding 60 cents per pound ($1.32 per kilogram) per article.
(b) You may offer, sell, or procure any type of insurance policy on behalf of the individual shipper covering loss or damage in excess of the specified carrier liability.
(c) If you sell, offer to sell, or procure liability insurance coverage for loss or damage to shipments:
(1) You must issue to the individual shipper a policy or other appropriate evidence of the insurance that the individual shipper purchased.
(2) You must provide a copy of the policy or other appropriate evidence to the individual shipper at the time you sell or procure the insurance.
(3) You must issue policies written in plain English.
(4) You must clearly specify the nature and extent of coverage under the policy.
(5) Your failure to issue a policy, or other appropriate evidence of insurance purchased, to an individual shipper will subject you to full liability for any claims to recover loss or damage attributed to you.
(6) You must provide in your tariff for the provision of selling, offering to sell, or procuring liability insurance coverage. The tariff must also provide for the base transportation charge, including your assumption of full liability for the value of the shipment. This would be in the event you fail to issue a policy or other appropriate evidence of insurance to the individual shipper at the time of purchase.
[69 FR 10575, Mar. 5, 2004]
Title 49 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 49.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.