The delegations of authority in this part do not extend to the following authority which is reserved to the Administrator and, in those instances when the office of the Administrator is vacant due to death or resignation, or when the Administrator is absent as provided by § 501.5(a), to the Deputy Administrator or Executive Director:
(a) The authority under chapter 301—Motor Vehicle Safety—of Title 49 of the United States Code to:
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final federal motor vehicle safety standards and regulations;
(2) Make final decisions concerning alleged safety-related defects and noncompliances with Federal motor vehicle safety standards;
(3) Grant or renew temporary exemptions from federal motor vehicle safety standards; and
(4) Grant or deny appeals from determinations upon petitions for inconsequential defect or noncompliance.
(b) The authority under 23 U.S.C. chapter 4, as amended, to:
(1) Apportion authorization amounts and distribute obligation limitations for State and community highway safety programs under 23 U.S.C. 402 ;
(2) Approve the initial awarding of alcohol incentive grants to the States authorized under 23 U.S.C. 408, and drunk driving prevention grants to the States authorized under 23 U.S.C. 410 ;
(3) Issue, amend, or revoke uniform State and community highway safety guidelines, and, with the concurrence of the Federal Highway Administrator, designate priority highway safety programs, under 23 U.S.C. 402 ;
(4) Fix the rate of compensation for non-government members of agency sponsored committees which are entitled to compensation.
(c) The authority under chapters 321, 323, 325, and 329 of Title 49 of the United States Code to:
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final rules and regulations, except for final rules issued under section 32902(d); and
(2) Assess civil penalties and approve manufacturer fuel economy credit plans under chapter 329.
(d) The authority under sections 141, 153, 154 and 158 of Title 23 of the United States Code, with the concurrence of the Federal Highway Administrator, to disapprove any State certification or to impose any sanction or transfer on a State for violations of the National Maximum Speed Limit, Safety Belt and Motorcycle Helmet Use Requirements, or the National Minimum Drinking Age.
[60 FR 43030, Aug. 18, 1995]
Title 49 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 49.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.