(a) A heavy-duty vehicle is any commercial medium- and heavy-duty on highway vehicle or a work truck, as defined in 49 U.S.C. 32901(a)(7) and (19). For the purpose of this part, heavy-duty vehicles are divided into three regulatory categories as follows:
(1) Heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans;
(2) Heavy-duty vocational vehicles; and
(3) Truck tractors with a GVWR above 26,000 pounds.
(b) The heavy-duty vehicle classification does not include:
(1) Vehicles defined as medium duty passenger vehicles.
(2) Vehicles excluded from the definition of “heavy-duty vehicle” because of vehicle weight or weight rating (such as light duty vehicles as defined in § 523.5 ).
(3) Vehicles excluded from the definition of motor vehicle in 40 CFR 85.1703.
[76 FR 57491, Sept. 15, 2011]
Effective Date Note:At 76 FR 57491, Sept. 15, 2011, § 523.6 was added, effective November 14, 2011.
Title 49 published on 2012-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 49.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.