Pt. 591, App. A
Appendix A to Part 591—Section 591.5(f) Bond for the Entry of a Single Vehicle
Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
BOND TO ENSURE CONFORMANCE WITH FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY AND BUMPER STANDARDS
(To redeliver vehicle, to produce documents, to perform conditions of release such as to bring vehicle into conformance with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety and bumper standards)
Know All Men by These Presents That (principal's name, mailing address which includes city, state, ZIP code, and state of incorporation if a corporation), as principal, and (surety's name, mailing address which includes city, state, ZIP code and state of incorporation), as surety, are held and firmly bound unto the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA in the sum of (bond amount in words) dollars ($ (bond amount in numbers)), which represents 150% of the entered value of the following described motor vehicle, as determined by the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection: (make, model, model year, and VIN) for the payment of which we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors, and assigns (jointly and severally), firmly bound by these presents.
WITNESS our hands and seals this___day of___, 20__.
WHEREAS, motor vehicles may be entered under the provisions of 49 U.S.C. Chapters 301 and 325; and DOT Form HS-7 “Declaration;”
WHEREAS, pursuant to
49 CFR qart 591
, a regulation promulgated under the provisions of 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, the above-bounden principal desires to import permanently the motor vehicle described above, which is a motor vehicle that was not originally manufactured to conform to the Federal motor vehicle safety or bumper standards; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to
49 CFR qart 592
, a regulation promulgated under the provisions of 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, the above-bounden principal has been granted the status of Registered Importer of motor vehicles not originally manufactured to conform to the Federal motor vehicle safety and bumper standards (or, if not a Registered Importer, has a contract with a Registered Importer covering the vehicle described above); and
WHEREAS, pursuant to
49 CFR qart 593
, a regulation promulgated under 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301, the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has decided that the motor vehicle described above is eligible for importation into the United States; and
WHEREAS, the motor vehicle described above has been imported at the port of _____, and entered at said port for consumption on entry No.___, dated___, 20__;
NOW, THEREFORE, THE CONDITION OF THIS OBLIGATION IS SUCH THAT—
(1) The above-bounden principal (the “principal”), in consideration of the permanent admission into the United States of the motor vehicle described above (the “vehicle”), voluntarily undertakes and agrees to have such vehicle brought into conformity with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety and bumper standards within a reasonable time after such importation, as specified by the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (the “Administrator”);
(2) The principal shall then file, or if not a Registered Importer, shall then cause the Registered Importer of the vehicle to file, with the Administrator, a certificate that the vehicle complies with each Federal motor vehicle safety standard in the year that the vehicle was manufactured and which applies in such year to the vehicle, and that the vehicle complies with the Federal bumper standard (if applicable);
(3) The principal, if a Registered Importer, shall not release custody of the vehicle to any person for license or registration for use on public roads, streets, or highways, or license or register the vehicle from the date of entry until 30 calendar days after it has certified compliance of the vehicle to the Administrator, unless the Administrator notifies the principal before 30 calendar days that (s)he has accepted such certification and the vehicle and bond may be released, except that no such release shall be permitted, before or after the 30th calendar day, if the principal has received written notice from the Administrator that an inspection of such vehicle will be required, or that there is reason to believe that such certification is false or contains a misrepresentation.
(4) And if the principal has received written notice from the Administrator that an inspection is required, the principal shall cause the vehicle to be available for inspection, and the vehicle and bond shall be promptly released after completion of an inspection showing no failure to comply. However, if the inspection shows a failure to comply, the vehicle and bond shall not be released until such time as the failure to comply ceases to exist;
(5) And if the principal has received written notice from the Administrator that there is reason to believe that the certificate is false or contains a misrepresentation, the vehicle or bond shall not be released until the Administrator is satisfied with the certification and any modification thereof;
(6) And if the principal has received written notice from the Administrator that the vehicle has been found not to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety and bumper standards, and written demand that the vehicle be abandoned to the United States, or delivered to the Secretary of Homeland Security for export (at no cost to the United States), the principal shall abandon the vehicle to the United States, or shall deliver the vehicle, or cause the vehicle to be delivered to, the custody of the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry listed above, or any other port of entry, and shall execute all documents necessary for exportation of the vehicle from the United States, at no cost to the United States; or in default of abandonment or redelivery after proper notice by the Administrator to the principal, the principal shall pay to the Administrator the amount of this obligation;
Then this obligation shall be void; otherwise it shall remain in full force and effect.
Signed, sealed, and delivered in the presence of—
CERTIFICATE AS TO CORPORATE PRINCIPAL
I, ______ certify that I am the ____ of the corporation named as principal in the within bond; that _____, who signed the bond on behalf of the principal, was then _______ of said corporation; that I know his/her signature, and his/her signature thereto is genuine; and that said bond was duly signed, sealed, and attested for and in behalf of said corporation by authority of its governing body.
To be used when a power of attorney has been filed with NHTSA. May be executed by secretary, assistant secretary, or other officer.
[55 FR 11380, Mar. 28, 1990, as amended at 59 FR 52097, Oct. 14, 1994; 69 FR 52093, Aug. 24, 2004]