49 CFR 701.9 - Business information.
(a) General. Business information held by Amtrak will be disclosed under the FOIA only under this section.
(1) Business information means commercial or financial information held by Amtrak that may be protected from disclosure under Exemption 4 of the FOIA, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(4).
(2) Submitter means any person or entity including partnerships; corporations; associations; and local, state, tribal, and foreign governments.
(c) Designation of business information. A submitter of business information will use good faith efforts to designate, by appropriate markings, either at the time of submission or at a reasonable time thereafter, any portions of its submission that it considers to be protected from disclosure under Exemption 4. These designations will expire ten years after the date of the submission unless the submitter requests and provides justification for a longer designation period.
(d) Notice to submitters. Amtrak shall provide a submitter with prompt written notice of an FOIA request or an appeal that seeks its business information when required under paragraph (e) of this section, except as provided in paragraph (h), in order to give the submitter an opportunity to object to disclosure of any specified portion of the information under paragraph (f). The notice shall either describe the business information requested or include copies of the requested records or portions of records containing the information.
(1) The information has been designated in good faith by the submitter as information considered protected from disclosure under Exemption 4; or
(2) Amtrak has reason to believe that the information may be protected from disclosure under Exemption 4.
(f) Opportunity to object to disclosure. Amtrak will allow a submitter a reasonable amount of time to respond to the notice described in paragraph (d) of this section.
(1) A detailed written statement must be submitted to Amtrak if the submitter has any objection to disclosure. The statement must specify all grounds for withholding any specified portion of the information sought under the FOIA. In the case of Exemption 4, it must show why the information is a trade secret or commercial or financial information that is privileged or confidential.
(2) In the event that a submitter fails to respond within the time specified in the notice, the submitter will be considered to have no objection to disclosure of the information sought under the FOIA.
(3) Information provided by a submitter in response to the notice may be subject to disclosure under the FOIA.
(g) Notice of intent to disclose. Amtrak shall consider a submitter's objections and specific grounds for disclosure in making a determination whether to disclose the information. In any instance, when a decision is made to disclose information over the objection of a submitter, Amtrak shall give the submitter written notice which shall include:
(1) A statement of the reason(s) why each of the submitter's objections to disclosure was not sustained;
(4) The designation made by the submitter under paragraph (c) of this section appears obviously frivolous. In such a case, Amtrak shall within a reasonable time prior to a specified disclosure date, give the submitter written notice of the final decision to disclose the information; or
(5) The information requested is not designated by the submitter as exempt from disclosure in accordance with this part, unless Amtrak has substantial reason to believe that disclosure of the information would result in competitive harm.
(i) Notice of a FOIA lawsuit. Whenever a FOIA requester files a lawsuit seeking to compel disclosure of business information, Amtrak shall promptly notify the submitter.
(1) When Amtrak provides a submitter with notice and an opportunity to object to disclosure under paragraph (f) of this section, the FOIA Office shall also notify the requester(s).
(2) When Amtrak notifies a submitter of its intent to disclose requested information under paragraph (g) of this section, Amtrak shall also notify the requester(s).
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.