Loss of eligibility for or termination of pay retention.
(a) Eligibility for pay retention ceases if any of the following conditions occurs at any time after the employee has received written notification that the employee's pay will be reduced, and entitlement to pay retention terminates if any of the following conditions occurs after the commencement of pay retention:
(1) The employee has a break in service of 1 workday or more;
(2) The employee is entitled to a rate of basic pay under a covered pay system which is equal to or greater than the employee's retained rate (after applying any applicable geographic conversion under paragraph (b) of this section), except that entitlement to a retained rate will not be terminated based on entitlement to an equal or higher rate of basic pay during a temporary promotion or temporary reassignment but will be held in abeyance during that temporary period.
(3) The employee declines a reasonable offer (as determined under § 536.104) of a position in which the employee's rate of basic pay would be equal to or greater than the employee's retained rate (after applying any applicable geographic conversion under paragraph (b) of this section);
(4) The employee is reduced in grade for personal cause or at the employee's request (based on the actual grade of the employee's position rather than the employee's retained grade and, when a movement to a different covered pay system is involved, a comparison of comparison rates under § 536.105 ); or
(5) The employee moves to a position not under a covered pay system.
(b) When the rate comparison required by paragraph (a)(2) or (3) of this section involves a new or offered position that is located in a different geographic area where different pay schedules would apply to the employee's existing position of record, the agency must convert the employee's existing retained rate using the geographic conversion rules in § 536.303(b) before making the rate comparison. The converted retained rate must be compared to the payable rate of basic pay for the new or offered position in determining whether the rate of basic pay for an offered position is equal to or higher than the employee's retained rate.
(c) Termination of pay retention benefits takes effect—
(1) At the end of the day before separation from service if termination is the result of a break in service;
(2) At the end of the day before the employee becomes entitled to an equal or greater rate as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section;
(3) At the end of the day before placement or movement if the termination is the result of the employee's placement in or movement to another position; or
(4) At the end of the last day of the pay period in which the employee declines a reasonable offer.
(d) If an employee's eligibility for pay retention ceases or entitlement to pay retention terminates under this section, the employee's rate of basic pay must be set using the pay-setting rules applicable to the employee's position of record (e.g., 5 CFR part 531, subpart B, for GS positions). However, when an employee's retained rate is terminated under paragraph (a)(2) or (3) of this section and the employee's grade is unchanged, the employee's payable rate of basic pay may not be set below the maximum rate of the highest applicable rate range.
[70 FR 31310, May 31, 2005, as amended at 73 FR 66156, Nov. 7, 2008]
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.