(a) Each agency shall establish written procedures governing advance payments. These procedures shall include—
(1) Criteria to be considered before approval or denial of employee requests for advance payments;
(2) Criteria to be considered before waiving all or part of advance payments; and
(3) Processing and accounting procedures governing advance payments.
(b) Before making an advance payment, an agency shall require that the employee sign an agreement to repay to the Federal Government any amount for which repayment has not been waived by the agency head under § 550.206 of this part.
(c) Before making an advance payment, an agency shall provide the following information to the employee in writing:
(1) A statement indicating how the advance in pay will be recovered from the employee by the Federal Government, either in installments under agency procedures for payroll deductions or by salary offset procedures under subpart K of this part;
(2) The total amount of the advance in pay, the total number of pay periods for repayment of the advance in pay, and the amount that will be deducted from the pay of the employee by payroll deductions or salary offset for each pay period;
(3) A statement indicating that the employee may prepay all or part of the balance of the advance payment at any time before the money is due, including instructions as to where and how such prepayments may be made.
(4) A statement indicating that the amount of the advance in pay not yet repaid by an employee or waived by the agency head is due and must be repaid by the employee if the employee transfers to another agency or the individual's employment with the agency is terminated for any reason; and
(5) A statement indicating that any amount of the remaining balance of the advance in pay that has not been waived or repaid by the employee on transfer or termination for any reason must be recovered by salary offset under subpart K of this part and/or by such other method as is provided by law.
(d) The head of an agency may establish procedures under which an employee is permitted to make allotments out of an advance in pay for such purposes as the head of the agency considers appropriate.
[56 FR 12837, Mar 28, 1991, as amended at 58 FR 41625, Aug. 5, 1993]
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 5.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.