(a) Authority.(1) Section 6301(2 )(xi) of title 5, United States Code, authorizes the President to exclude certain Presidential appointees in the executive branch or the government of the District of Columbia from the annual and sick leave provisions of subchapter I of chapter 63 of title 5, United States Code, and from the related provisions of this part.
(2) The President, by Executive Order 10540, as amended, has delegated to the Office of Personnel Management the responsibility for making exclusions under section 6301(2 )(xi), and the Office of Personnel Management has delegated responsibility to the head of each agency consistent with the provisions of this section.
(3) Presidential appointees in positions where the rate of basic pay is equal to or exceeds the rate for level V of the Executive Schedule are already excluded from the annual and sick leave provisions by 5 U.S.C. 6301(2)(x). Therefore, no further action by an agency is necessary to exclude these appointees.
(b) Criteria for exclusions. The head of an agency may exclude an officer in the agency from the annual and sick leave provisions only if the officer meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The officer is a Presidential appointee;
(2) The officer is not a United States attorney or United States marshal; and
(3) The officer's responsibilities for carrying out the duties of the position continue outside normal duty hours and while away from the normal duty post.
(c) Revocation of exclusion. The head of an agency may revoke an exclusion from the annual and sick leave provisions which was made under this section.
(d) Reports. The head of an agency must report any exclusion, or revocation of an exclusion, authorized under this section to the Office of Personnel Management.
(e) Continuation of previous authorizations. Any officer in an agency who was excluded by action of the President or the Civil Service Commission prior to February 15, 1979, from the annual and sick leave provisions under the authority of 5 U.S.C. 6301(2)(xi) shall continue to be excluded from annual and sick leave unless the exclusion is revoked by the agency under the provisions of this section.
[44 FR 54694, Sept. 21, 1979, as amended at 56 FR 18663, Apr. 23, 1991]
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.