(a) Notice. If a debtor's response to the notice described in § 831.1304(a) does not result in payment in full, payment by offset, or payment in accordance with a voluntary repayment agreement or other repayment schedule acceptable to OPM, and the debtor's rights under § 831.1304 have been exhausted, OPM may report the debtor to a consumer reporting agency. In addition, a debtor's failure to make subsequent payments in accordance with a repayment schedule may result in a report to a consumer reporting agency. Before making a report to a consumer reporting agency, OPM will notify the debtor in writing that—
(1) The payment is overdue;
(2) OPM intends, after 60 days, to make a report as described in paragraph (b) of this section to a consumer reporting agency;
(3) The debtor's right to dispute the liability has been exhausted under § 831.1304; and
(4) The debtor may suspend OPM action on referral by paying the debt in one lump sum or making payments current under a repayment schedule.
(b) Report. When a debtor's response to the notice described in paragraph (a) of this section fails to comply with paragraph (a)(4) of this section and 60 days have elapsed since the notice was mailed, OPM may report to a consumer reporting agency that an individual is responsible for an unpaid debt and provide the following information:
(1) The individual's name, address, taxpayer identification number, and any other information necessary to establish the identity of the individual;
(2) The amount, status, and history of the debt; and
(3) The fact that the debt arose in connection with the administration of the Civil Service Retirement System.
(c) Subsequent reports. OPM will update its report to the consumer reporting agency whenever it has knowledge of events that substantially change the status or the amount of the liability.
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.