(a) The Secretary will coordinate with or request approval from OPM in advance, as applicable, regarding the proposed promulgation of certain implementing issuances and certain other actions related to the ongoing operation of the NSPS where such actions could have a significant impact on other Federal agencies and the Federal civil service as a whole. Pre-decisional coordination under paragraph (b) of this section is intended as an internal DoD/OPM matter to recognize the Secretary's special authority to direct the operations of DoD pursuant to title 10, U.S. Code, as well as the Director's institutional responsibility to oversee the Federal civil service system pursuant to 5 U.S.C. chapter 11. Approval from OPM is required in certain circumstances, as provided in paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) DoD will coordinate with OPM prior to—
(1) Establishing or substantially revising career groups, occupational pay schedules, and pay bands under §§ 9901.211 and 9901.212(a) ;
(2) Establishing alternative or additional qualification standards for a particular occupational series, career group, occupational pay schedule, and/or pay band under § 9901.212(d) that significantly differ from Governmentwide standards;
(3) Establishing alternative or additional occupational series for a particular career group or occupation under § 9901.221(b)(1) that differ from Governmentwide series and/or standards;
(4) Establishing alternative or additional classification criteria for a particular career group or occupation under § 9901.221(b)(1) that differ from Governmentwide classification standards;
(5) Establishing maximum rates of base salary under § 9901.312(a) ;
(6) Establishing a higher adjusted salary rate cap for a designated category of positions under § 9901.312(d) ;
(7) Approving waivers under § 9901.313(a)(3) of the normally applicable aggregate compensation limit;
(8) Establishing and adjusting pay ranges for occupational pay schedules and pay bands under §§ 9901.321(a) and 9901.322 ;
(9) Determining targeted general salary increases under § 9901.323(a)(2); and
(c) The Secretary will request approval from the Director prior to—
(1) Establishing policies regarding the student loan repayment program under § 9901.303(c) that differ from Governmentwide policies with respect to repayment amounts and service commitments;
(2) Approving waivers of normally applicable premium pay limitations, as authorized under § 9901.362(a)(2) ;
(3) Determining pay bands for which an FLSA-exempt employee is paid overtime at an hourly rate equal to the employee's adjusted base salary hourly rate, as authorized under § 9901.362(b)(6)(i); and
(4) Establishing new hazardous duty pay categories under § 9901.362(i)(3).
(d) When a matter requiring OPM coordination is submitted to the Secretary for decision, the Director will be provided an opportunity, as part of the Department's normal coordination process, to review and comment on the recommendations and officially concur or nonconcur with all or part of them. The Secretary will take the Director's comments and concurrence/nonconcurrence into account, advise the Director of his or her determination, and provide the Director with reasonable advance notice of the effective date of the matter. Thereafter, the Secretary and the Director may take such action as they deem appropriate, consistent with their respective statutory authorities and responsibilities.
(e) The Secretary and the Director fully expect their staffs to work closely together on the matters specified in this section, before such matters are submitted for official OPM coordination or approval and DoD decision, so as to maximize the opportunity for consensus and agreement before an issue is so submitted.
Title 5 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.