(a)General. The quotas limiting the amount of precious coral that may be taken in any precious coral permit area during the fishing year are listed in § 665.269(d). Only live coral is counted toward the quota. The accounting period for all quotas begins July 1, 1983.
(b)Conditional bed closure. A conditional bed will be closed to all nonselective coral harvesting after the quota for one species of coral has been taken.
(c)Reserves and reserve release. The quotas for exploratory area X-P-H will be held in reserve for harvest by vessels of the United States in the following manner:
(1) At the start of the fishing year, the reserve for the Hawaii exploratory areas will equal the quota minus the estimated domestic annual harvest for that year.
(2) As soon as practicable after December 31 each year, the Regional Administrator will determine the amount harvested by vessels of the United States between July 1 and December 31 of the year that just ended on December 31.
(3) NMFS will release to TALFF an amount of Hawaii precious coral for each exploratory area equal to the quota minus two times the amount harvested by vessels of the United States in that July 1-December 31 period.
(4) NMFS will publish in the Federal Register a notification of the Regional Administrator's determination and a summary of the information on which it is based as soon as practicable after the determination is made.
(d) Quotas for precious coral permit areas.
Type of coral bed
Name of coral bed
Harvest quota in kilograms
1. No fishing for coral is authorized in refugia.
2. A moratorium on gold coral harvesting is in effect through June 30, 2013.
Gold: 0 (zero)
180 Fathom Bank
All: 0 (zero)
1,000 per area (all species combined except black corals)
Title 50 published on 2013-10-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 50.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.