§ 1.601What is the purpose of this subpart, and to what license proceedings does it apply?
(1) The regulations in §§ 1.601 through 1.660 contain rules of practice and procedure applicable to hearings on disputed issues of material fact with respect to mandatory conditions that the Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (Forest Service) may develop for inclusion in a hydropower license issued under subchapter I of the Federal Power Act (FPA), 16 U.S.C. 791et seq. The authority to develop these conditions is granted by FPA section 4(e), 16 U.S.C. 797(e), which authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to condition hydropower licenses issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
(2) The hearing process under this subpart does not apply to recommendations that the Forest Service may submit to FERC under FPA section 10(a), 16 U.S.C. 803(a).
(3) The FPA also grants the Department of the Interior the authority to develop mandatory conditions and prescriptions, and the Department of Commerce the authority to develop mandatory prescriptions, for inclusion in a hydropower license. Where the Forest Service USDA and either or both of these other Departments develop conditions or prescriptions to be included in the same hydropower license and where the Departments agree to consolidate the hearings under § 1.623:
(i) A hearing conducted under this subpart will also address disputed issues of material fact with respect to any condition or prescription developed by one of the other Departments; or
(ii) A hearing requested under this subpart will be conducted by one of the other Departments, pursuant to 43 CFR 45.1et seq. or 50 CFR 221.1et seq., as applicable.
(4) The regulations in §§ 1.601 through 1.660 will be construed and applied to each hearing process to achieve a just and speedy determination, consistent with adequate consideration of the issues involved and the provisions of § 1.660(a).
(b)Alternatives process. The regulations in §§ 1.670 through 1.673 contain rules of procedure applicable to the submission and consideration of alternative conditions under FPA section 33, 16 U.S.C. 823d. That section allows any party to the license proceeding to propose an alternative to a condition deemed necessary by the Forest Service under section 4(e).
(c)Reservation of authority. Where the Forest Service notifies FERC that it is reserving its authority to develop one or more conditions during the term of the license, the hearing and alternatives processes under this subpart for such conditions will be available if and when the Forest Service exercises its reserved authority. The Forest Service will consult with FERC and notify the license parties regarding how to initiate the hearing process and alternatives process at that time.
(1) This subpart applies to any hydropower license proceeding for which the license has not been issued as of November 17, 2005 and for which one or more preliminary conditions or conditions have been or are filed with FERC.
(2) If the Forest Service has already filed one or more preliminary conditions or conditions as of November 17, 2005, the special applicability provisions of § 1.604 also apply.
Title 7 published on 2014-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 7.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.