(a)General. For all transfers and assumptions, the lender must concur in the plans for disposition of funds in the transferor's debt service, reserve, and operation and maintenance account. The Agency will approve, in writing, transfers and assumptions of loans to transferees who will continue the original purpose of the guaranteed loan subject to the following applicable provisions:
(1) When the transaction is to a member of the borrower's organization, it will be at an amount which will not result in a loss to the lender.
(2) Transfers to eligible borrowers will receive preference if recovery to the lender from the sale price is not less than it would be if the transfer was to an ineligible borrower.
(3) The present borrower is unable or unwilling to accomplish the objectives of the guaranteed loan, and the transfer will be to the lender's and Agency's advantage.
(4) The transferee will assume an amount at least equal to either the present market value or the debt, whichever is less.
(b)Transfers to an eligible borrower.
(1) The total indebtedness may be transferred to an eligible borrower on the same terms.
(2) The total indebtedness may be transferred to another eligible borrower on different terms not to exceed those terms for which an initial guaranteed loan can be made.
(3) Less than the total indebtedness may be transferred to another eligible borrower on the same or different terms and the pro rata share of any eligible loss paid to the lender.
(4) A guaranteed loan for which the transferee is eligible may be made in connection with a transfer subject to the policies and procedures governing the type of loan being made.
(5) If the transferor is to receive a payment for the equity, the total debt must be assumed.
(c)Ineligible borrower. Transfers to ineligible borrowers are considered only when needed as a method for servicing problem cases when an eligible transferee is not available. Transfers should not be considered as a means by which members can obtain equity or as a method of providing a source of easy credit for purchasers. Transfers must meet the following requirements:
(1) All transfers to ineligible borrowers will include a one-time nonrefundable transfer fee to the Agency of no more than 1 percent. Transfer fees will be collected, and payments applied, in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section.
(2) For all loans covered by this part, the Agency may approve a transfer of indebtedness to, and assumption of, a loan by a transferee who does not meet the eligibility requirements for the kind of loan being assumed when the ineligible borrower will:
(i) Make a significant down payment, and
(ii) Agree to pay the remaining balance within not more than 15 years. Installments will be at least equal to the amount amortized over a period not greater than the remaining life of the debt being transferred, and the balance will be due the fifteenth year.
(3) Interest rates to ineligible transferees will be the rate specified in the note of the transferor or the rates customarily charged borrowers in similar circumstances in the ordinary course of business and are subject to Agency review and approval. The rates may be either fixed or variable.
(i) Transferees must have the ability to repay as determined by the lender the debt according to the Assumption Agreement and must have the legal authority to enter into the contract. The transferee will submit a current balance sheet to the lender. The lender will obtain and analyze the credit history of the transferee.
(ii) The transferor may receive equity payments only when the full amount of the debt is assumed. However, equity payments will not be made on more favorable terms than those on which the balance of the debt will be paid.
(d)Transfer fees. Transfer fees are a one-time nonrefundable cost to be collected by the lender at the time of application or proposal.
(1) The transfer fees will be a standard fee plus the cost of the appraisal.
(2) The lender will collect and submit the fee to the Agency.
(3) The Agency may waive the transfer fee if it determines that such waiver is in the best interest of the Agency.
(e)Processing transfers and assumptions.
(1) In any transfer and assumption case, the transferor (including any guarantor) may be released from liability by the lender only with prior Agency written concurrence and only when the value of the collateral being transferred is at least equal to the amount of the loan, or part of the loan, being assumed. If the transfer is for less than the entire debt:
(i) The Agency must determine that the transferor and any guarantor have no reasonable debt-paying ability considering their assets and income at the time of transfer, and
(ii) The lender must certify that the transferor has cooperated in good faith, used due diligence to maintain the collateral against loss, and has otherwise fulfilled all of the regulations of this part to the best of the borrower's ability.
(2) The lender will make, in all cases, a complete credit analysis to determine viability of the project (subject to the Agency review and approval) including any requirement for deposit in an escrow account as security to meet the determined equity requirements for the project.
(3) The lender will confirm that the transaction can be properly transferred and the conveyance instruments will be filed, registered, or recorded as appropriate and legally permissible.
(4) The assumption will be made on the lender's form of Assumption Agreement and will contain the Agency case number of the transferor and transferee.
(5) Loan terms cannot be changed by the Assumption Agreement unless previously approved in writing by the Agency with the concurrence of holder and the transferor (including guarantor if it has not been released from personal liability). Any new loan terms cannot exceed those authorized in this part. The lender's request will be supported by:
(i) An explanation of the reasons for the proposed change in the loan terms, and
(ii) Certification that the lien position securing the guaranteed loan will be maintained or improved, and proper hazard insurance will be continued in effect.
(6) In the case of a transfer and assumption, it is the lender's responsibility to see that all such transfers and assumptions will be noted on all originals of the Loan Note Guarantee. The lender will provide the Agency a copy of the Transfer and Assumption Agreement.
(7) If a loss should occur upon a complete transfer of assets and assumption for less than the full amount of the debt and the transferor-debtor (including personal guarantor) is released from personal liability (as provided in paragraph (e)(1)(i) of this section), the lender (if holding the guaranteed portion) may file an estimated Report of Loss to recover their pro rata share of the actual loss at that time. Approved protective advances and accrued interest made during the arrangement of a transfer and assumption, if not assumed by the transferee, will be entered on the estimated Report of Loss.
Title 7 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.