(a) If a licensee determines that it will not enter the entire amount of an article permitted under its license, such licensee shall surrender its license right to enter the amount that it does not intend to enter. Surrender shall be made to the Licensing Authority in writing by mail or electronic submission, postmarked or electronically submitted, in accordance with § 6.36(b), no later than October 1. Any surrender shall be final and shall be only for that quota year, except as provided in § 6.25(b). The amount of the license not surrendered shall be subject to the license use requirements of § 6.23(c)(1).
(b) For each quota year, the Licensing Authority will, to the extent practicable, reallocate any amounts surrendered.
(c) Any person who has been issued a license for a quota year may apply to receive additional license, or addition to an existing license for a portion of the amount being reallocated. The application shall be submitted to the Licensing Authority by mail or electronic submission, in accordance with § 6.36(b), no earlier than September 1 and not later than September 15, and shall specify:
(1) The name and control number of the applicant;
(2) The article and country being requested, the applicable Additional U.S. Note number and, if more than one article is requested, a rank-order by Additional U.S. Note number; and
(3) If applicable, the number of the license issued to the applicant for that quota year permitting entry of the same article from the same country.
(d) The Licensing Authority will reallocate surrendered amounts among applicants as follows:
(1) The minimum license size, or addition to an existing license, will be the total amount of the article from a country surrendered, or 10,000 kilograms, whichever is less;
(2) Minimum size licenses, or additions to an existing license, will be allocated among applicants requesting articles on the basis of the rank-order lottery system described in § 6.25(c);
(3) If there is any amount of an article from a country left after minimum size licenses have been issued, the Licensing Authority may allocate the remainder in any manner it determines equitable among applicants who have requested that article; and
(4) No amount will be reallocated to a licensee who has surrendered a portion of its license for the same article from the same country during that quota year unless all other licensees applying for a reallocated quantity have been allocated a license;
(e) However, if the government of an exporting country chooses to designate eligible importers for surrendered amounts under Appendix 3, the Licensing Authority shall issue the licenses in accordance with § 6.25(d)(2), provided that the government of the exporting country notifies the Licensing Authority of its designations no later than September 1. Such notification shall contain the names and addresses of the importers that it is designating and the amount in percentage terms of such article for which each importer is being designated. In such case the requirements of paragraph (c) of this section shall not apply.
(f) Except for paragraph (a), the provisions of § 6.26 for surrendered and reallocated tariff-rate quota shares do not apply for the 1996 quota year. Reissued tariff-rate quota shares for licenses surrendered during 1996 will be made pursuant to the provisions in effect for the 1996 quota year (§ 6.26(f)(2) as contained in 7 CFR subtitle A, revised as of January 1, 1996).