(a) The Secretary shall limit the handling of onions by regulations specified in this section whenever he finds from the recommendations and information submitted by the committee, or from other available information, that such regulations would tend to effectuate the declared policy of the act.
(b) Such regulations may:
(1) Limit in any or all portions of the production area the handling of particular grades, sizes, qualities or packs, or any combination thereof, of any or all varieties of onions during any period;
(2) Limit the handling of particular grades, sizes, qualities, or packs of onions differently for different varieties, for different containers, for different portions of the production area, or any combination of the foregoing, during any period;
(3) Limit the handling of onions by establishing, in terms of grades, sizes, or both, minimum standards of quality and maturity;
(4) Fix the size, capacity, weight, dimensions, or pack of the container or containers which may be used in the packaging, transportation, sale, preparation for market, shipment, or other handling of onions;
(5) Establish holidays by prohibiting throughout the entire production area, the packaging or loading, or both, of onions on Sundays;
(6) Prohibit the packaging or loading, or both, of onions except during specified consecutive hours of any calendar day or days: Provided, That, any handler may, upon such notice to the committee as it may prescribe with approval of the Secretary, package or load onions during a different period in such day consisting of the same number of consecutive hours: Provided further, That any handler who, due to conditions specified in regulations established by the committee with the approval of the Secretary as being beyond a handler's reasonable control, is prevented for more than one of such consecutive hours from so packaging or loading onions may, in accordance with such regulations, obtain permission from the committee to package or load onions, or both, during a comparable number of additional hours in the same day or a later day as specified by the committee.
(c) Regulations issued hereunder may be amended, modified, suspended, or terminated whenever it is determined:
(1) That such action is warranted upon recommendation of the committee or other available information;
(2) That such action is essential to provide relief from inspection, assessment, or regulations under paragraph (b) of this section for minimum quantities less than customary commercial transactions; or
(3) That regulations issued hereunder no longer tend to effectuate the declared policy of the act.
(d) No handler may handle onions that were packaged or loaded or both during any period when such packaging or loading or both was prohibited by any regulation issued pursuant to paragraphs (b)(5) or (6) of this section, except such onions as were exempted thereunder.
[26 FR 704, Jan. 25, 1961. Redesignated at 26 FR 12751, Dec. 30, 1961, as amended at 34 FR 6440, Apr. 12, 1969]
Title 7 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.