9 CFR 355.32 - Labeling required.
prev | next
Each container of inspected and certified product shall have affixed thereto a label bearing the following information, prominently displayed:
(a) The name of the product, class of product, ingredient statement, and the animal foods inspection legend in the manner provided by paragraphs (a) (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), and (6) of this section.
(1) The name of the canned or semimoist certified food shall include words such as “dog food,” “cat food,” “dog and cat food,” or “fox food,” accompanied with such references to optional ingredients as may be required by the Administrator under this part. Product names shall not be misleading in regard to class of canned or semi-moist certified food for which label is intended.
(2) Class of product as outlined in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of § 355.29 shall be declared on either the main display or 20 percent panel of the label.
(3) The word “ingredients,” followed by a complete list of ingredients of the food in the order of their predominance and by their common or usual names, shall appear on the label with the name of the food.
(4) The inspection legend for canned, semi-moist or frozen certified animal food shall appear on the label in the form shown herewith, except that the plant number need not appear with the legend when such number is embossed on the sealed metal container as provided in § 355.33.
(5) When a product is prepared in whole from any of the items defined in § 355.2 (i) through (n), its name shall identify the item and there shall appear contiguous to the name of the item the name of the decharacterizing agent used, followed by the word “added” as, for example, “bone added.”
(6) When wheat flour or other processing aid is added to the product, there shall appear on the label, with the name of the decharacterizing agent, in predominating order, the name of the processing aid, as, for example, “Wheat flour and bone added” or “Bone and wheat flour added.”
(b) A statement of the quantity of contents of the container, representing in terms of avoirdupois weight the quantity of product in the container.
(c) The name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor. The name under which inspection is granted to a plant may appear without qualification on the label of a product prepared by that plant. When the certified product is not prepared by the person whose name appears on the label, the name shall be qualified by a phrase which reveals the connection such person has with the product as, for example, “Prepared for __________.”
[23 FR 10107, Dec. 23, 1958, as amended at 25 FR 1357, Feb. 16, 1960; 26 FR 3984, May 9, 1961; 29 FR 9819, July 22, 1964. Redesignated at 30 FR 4195, Mar. 31, 1965, and amended at 32 FR 13115, Sept. 15, 1967]
Title 9 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.