- Birth, Residence, and Family
- Born June 23, 1948 in the Pinpoint community, near Savannah, Georgia. Married Virginia Lamp, May 30, 1987. Child: Jamal Adeen.
- Conception Seminary, 1967-1968: Holy Cross College, A.B. cum laude. Alpha Sigma Nu, Purple Key. Yale Law School, J.D., 1974.
- Law Practice
- Admitted to Missouri Bar 1974. Attorney, Monsanto Company, 1977-1979.
- Government Service
- Assistant Attorney General of Missouri, 1974-1977; Legislative assistant to Senator John C. Danforth of Missouri, 1979-1981; Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1981-1982; Chairman U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Com mission 1982-1990.
- Judicial Offices
- Nominated by President Bush to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District
of Columbia Circuit: took oath of office, March 12, 1990.
Nominated by President Bush as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court: took oath of office October 23, 1991.
Source: U.S. Supreme Court