§ 1241l. Duties of Commission
(a) Study and review of ocean transportation of agricultural exports subject to cargo preference laws; recommendations, scope, etc.
It shall be the duty of the Commission to conduct a comprehensive study and review of the ocean transportation of agricultural exports subject to the cargo preference laws referred to in section 1241f of this Appendix and to make recommendations to the President and the Congress for improving the efficiency of such transportation on United States-flag vessels in order to reduce the costs incurred by the United States in connection with such transportation. In carrying out such study and review, the Commission shall consider the extent to which any unfair or discriminatory practices of foreign governments increase the cost to the United States of transporting agricultural commodities subject to such cargo preference laws.
(b) Reporting requirements; termination of Commission
(1) The Commission shall submit an interim report to the President and the Congress not later than one year after December 23, 1985, and such other interim reports as the Commission considers advisable.
(2) The Commission shall submit a final report containing its findings and recommendations to the President and the Congress not later than two years after December 23, 1985. The report shall include recommendations for any changes in the provisions of paragraph (1) that would help assure that the cost of ocean freight and ocean freight differential incurred by the Department of Agriculture and the Commodity Credit Corporation on the agricultural export programs specified in section 1241f of this Appendix, is not increased above historical levels as a result of the extra demand for United States-flag vessels caused by section 1241f of this Appendix.
(c) Contents of reports
The Commission shall include in its reports submitted pursuant to subsection (b) of this section recommendations concerning the feasibility and desirability of achieving the following goals with respect to the ocean transportation of agricultural commodities subject to the cargo preference laws referred to in section 1241f of this Appendix:
(1) Ensuring that the timing of commodity purchase agreements entered into by the United States in connection with the export of such commodities, and the methods of implementing such agreements, will minimize cost to the United States.
(2) Ensuring that shipments of such commodities are made on the most modern and efficient United States-flag vessels available.
(3) Ensuring that shipments of such commodities are made under the most advantageous terms available, including—
(4) Reduction and elimination of impediments, including delays in port, to the efficient loading and operation of the vessels employed for shipment of such commodities.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.