10 U.S. Code § 2193 - Improvement of education in technical fields: grants for higher education in science and mathematics
(1) The Secretary of Defense may, in accordance with the provisions of this subsection, carry out a program for awarding grants to students who have been accepted for enrollment in, or who are enrolled in, an institution of higher education as undergraduate or graduate students in scientific and engineering disciplines critical to the national security functions of the Department of Defense.
(2) Grant proceeds shall be disbursed on behalf of students awarded grants under this subsection to the institutions of higher education at which the students are enrolled. No grant proceeds shall be disbursed on behalf of a student until the student is enrolled at an institution of higher education.
(3) The amount of a grant awarded a student under this subsection may not exceed the student’s cost of attendance.
(4) The amount of a grant awarded a student under this subsection shall not be reduced on the basis of the student’s receipt of other forms of Federal student financial assistance, but shall be taken into account in determining the eligibility of the student for those other forms of Federal student financial assistance.
(5) The Secretary shall give priority to awarding grants under this subsection in a manner likely to stimulate the interest of women and members of minority groups in pursuing scientific and engineering careers. The Secretary may consider the financial need of applicants in making awards in accordance with such priority.
Source(Added Pub. L. 101–510, div. A, title II, § 247(a)(1),Nov. 5, 1990, 104 Stat. 1521; amended Pub. L. 105–244, title I, § 102(a)(2)(A),Oct. 7, 1998, 112 Stat. 1617; Pub. L. 106–65, div. A, title V, § 580(c)(2), (3), (d)(2),Oct. 5, 1999, 113 Stat. 633.)
References in Text
Section 101 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, referred to in subsec. (b)(1), is classified to section 1001 of Title 20, Education.
1999—Pub. L. 106–65, § 580(d)(2), amended section catchline generally. Prior to amendment, catchline read as follows: “Science and mathematics education improvement program”.
Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 106–65, § 580(c)(3), redesignatedsubsec. (c) as (b).
Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 106–65, § 580(c)(3), redesignatedsubsec. (c) as (b).
1998—Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 105–244substituted “section 101 of the Higher Education Act of 1965” for “section 1201(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1141 (a))”.
Effective Date of 1998 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.