10 U.S. Code § 2216a - Rapidly meeting urgent needs: Joint Urgent Operational Needs Fund
(a) Establishment.— There is established in the Treasury an account to be known as the “Joint Urgent Operational Needs Fund” (in this section referred to as the “Fund”).
(b) Elements.— The Fund shall consist of the following:
(c) Use of Funds.—
(1) Amounts in the Fund shall be available to the Secretary of Defense for capabilities that are determined by the Secretary, pursuant to the review process required by section 804(b) of the Ike Skelton National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011 (10 U.S.C. 2302 note), to be suitable for rapid fielding in response to urgent operational needs.
(2) The Secretary shall establish a merit-based process for identifying equipment, supplies, services, training, and facilities suitable for funding through the Fund.
(3) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to require or enable any official of the Department of Defense to provide funding under this section pursuant to a congressional earmark, as defined in clause 9 of Rule XXI of the Rules of the House of Representatives, or a congressionally directed spending item, as defined in paragraph 5 of Rule XLIV of the Standing Rules of the Senate.
(d) Transfer Authority.—
(1) Amounts in the Fund may be transferred by the Secretary of Defense from the Fund to any of the following accounts of the Department of Defense to accomplish the purpose stated in subsection (c):
(2) Upon determination by the Secretary that all or part of the amounts transferred from the Fund under paragraph (1) are not necessary for the purpose for which transferred, such amounts may be transferred back to the Fund.
(3) The transfer of an amount to an account under the authority in paragraph (1) shall be deemed to increase the amount authorized for such account by an amount equal to the amount so transferred.
Source(Added Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title VIII, § 846(a)(1),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1516; amended Pub. L. 112–239, div. A, title X, § 1076(e)(2),Jan. 2, 2013, 126 Stat. 1951.)
References in Text
Section 804(b) of the Ike Skelton National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011, referred to in subsec. (c)(1), is section 804(b) ofPub. L. 111–383, which is set out as a note under section 2302 of this title.
A prior section 2216a, added Pub. L. 104–106, div. A, title III, § 371(a)(1),Feb. 10, 1996, 110 Stat. 277, § 2216; renumbered § 2216a and amended Pub. L. 104–201, div. A, title III, §§ 363(c), 364, title X, § 1074(a)(10),Sept. 23, 1996, 110 Stat. 2493, 2494, 2659, related to Defense Business Operations Fund, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 105–261, div. A, title X, § 1008(b),Oct. 17, 1998, 112 Stat. 2117.
2013—Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 112–239substituted “on September 30, 2015.” for “on the last day of the third fiscal year that begins after the date of the enactment of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012.”
Limitation on Commencement of Expenditures From Fund
Pub. L. 112–81, div. A, title VIII, § 846(b),Dec. 31, 2011, 125 Stat. 1517, provided that: “No expenditure may be made from the Joint Urgent Operational Needs Fund established by section 2216a of title 10, United States Code (as added by subsection (a)), until the Secretary of Defense certifies to the congressional defense committees [Committees on Armed Services and Appropriations of the Senate and the House of Representatives] that the Secretary has developed and implemented an expedited review process in compliance with the requirements of section 804 of the Ike Skelton National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011 (Public Law 111–383; 124 Stat. 4256; 10 U.S.C. 2302 note).”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.