10 U.S. Code § 2783 - Nonappropriated fund instrumentalities: financial management and use of nonappropriated funds
(a) Regulation of Management and Use of Nonappropriated Funds.— The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe regulations governing—
(1) the purposes for which nonappropriated funds of a nonappropriated fund instrumentality of the United States within the Department of Defense may be expended; and
(b) Penalties for Violations.—
(1) A civilian employee of the Department of Defense who is paid from nonappropriated funds and who commits a substantial violation of the regulations prescribed under subsection (a) shall be subject to the same penalties as are provided by law for misuse of appropriations by a civilian employee of the Department of Defense paid from appropriated funds. The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe regulations to carry out this paragraph.
(2) The Secretary shall provide in regulations that a violation of the regulations prescribed under subsection (a) by a person subject to chapter 47 of this title (the Uniform Code of Military Justice) is punishable as a violation of section 892 of this title (article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice).
(c) Notification of Violations.—
(1) A civilian employee of the Department of Defense (whether paid from nonappropriated funds or from appropriated funds), and a member of the armed forces, whose duties include the obligation of nonappropriated funds, shall notify the Secretary of Defense of information which the person reasonably believes evidences—
(A) a violation by another person of any law, rule, or regulation regarding the management of such funds; or
(2) The Secretary of Defense shall designate civilian employees of the Department of Defense or members of the armed forces to receive a notification described in paragraph (1) and ensure the prompt investigation of the validity of information provided in the notification.
Source(Added Pub. L. 102–484, div. A, title III, § 362(a),Oct. 23, 1992, 106 Stat. 2379, § 2490a; renumbered § 2783 and amended Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title XI, § 1182(a)(8)(A),Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1771.)
1993—Pub. L. 103–160renumbered section 2490a of this title as this section.
Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 103–160, § 1182(a)(8)(A)(i), substituted “chapter 47 of this title” for “chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code”, “Justice) is” for “Justice), is”, and “section 892 of this title” for “section 892 of such title”.
Subsec. (c)(1). Pub. L. 103–160, § 1182(a)(8)(A)(ii), substituted “armed forces” for “Armed Forces”.
Standardization of Certain Programs and Activities of Military Exchanges
“(a) Standardization of Exchanges.—The Secretary of Defense shall standardize among the military departments the following programs and activities of the military exchanges of the military departments:
“(1) Accounting (including account titles and item descriptions).
“(2) Financial reporting formats.
“(3) Automatic data processing and telecommunications data in order to facilitate the transfer of information among military exchanges.
“(b) Time and Manner.—The standardization of programs and activities required by subsection (a) shall be completed not later than March 31, 1994, and shall be carried out in the most efficient manner practicable.
“(c) Report.—Not later than March 31, 1993, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the Congress a report on other programs and activities of the military exchanges, if any, that the Secretary determines can be economically and efficiently managed through standardization or consolidation under a single nonappropriated fund instrumentality.”
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.