10 U.S. Code § 4553 - Armament Retooling and Manufacturing Support Initiative
(a) Authority for Initiative.— The Secretary may carry out a program to be known as the “Armament Retooling and Manufacturing Support Initiative”.
(b) Purposes.— The purposes of the ARMS Initiative are as follows:
(1) To encourage commercial firms, to the maximum extent practicable, to use eligible facilities for commercial purposes.
(2) To increase the opportunities for small businesses (including socially and economically disadvantaged small business concerns and new small businesses) to use eligible facilities for those purposes.
(3) To maintain in the United States a work force having the skills necessary to meet industrial emergency planned requirements for national security purposes.
(4) To demonstrate innovative business practices, to support Department of Defense acquisition reform, and to serve as both a model and a laboratory for future defense conversion initiatives of the Department of Defense.
(5) To the maximum extent practicable, to allow the operation of eligible facilities to be rapidly responsive to the forces of free market competition.
(6) To reduce or eliminate the cost of Government ownership of eligible facilities, including the costs of operations and maintenance, the costs of environmental remediation, and other costs.
(8) To leverage private investment at eligible facilities through long-term facility use contracts, property management contracts, leases, or other agreements that support and advance the policies and purposes of this chapter, for the following activities:
(9) To foster cooperation between the Department of the Army, property managers, commercial interests, and State and local agencies in the implementation of sustainable development strategies and investment in eligible facilities made available for purposes of the ARMS Initiative.
(c) Availability of Facilities.— The Secretary may make any eligible facility available for the purposes of the ARMS Initiative.
(d) Consideration for Leases.— Section 1302 of title 40 shall not apply to uses of property or facilities in accordance with the ARMS Initiative.
(e) Program Support.—
(1) Funds appropriated for purposes of the ARMS Initiative may be used for administrative support and management.
(2) A full annual accounting of such expenses for each fiscal year shall be provided to the Committee on Armed Services and the Committee on Appropriations of the Senate and the Committee on Armed Services and the Committee on Appropriations of the House of Representatives not later than March 30 of the following fiscal year.
Source(Added Pub. L. 106–398, § 1 [[div. A], title III, § 344(a)(1)], Oct. 30, 2000, 114 Stat. 1654, 1654A–68; amended Pub. L. 108–178, § 4(b)(5),Dec. 15, 2003, 117 Stat. 2641; Pub. L. 109–163, div. A, title III, § 323(d),Jan. 6, 2006, 119 Stat. 3194.)
2006—Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 109–163struck out “in manufacturing processes that are” after “having the skills”.
2003—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 108–178substituted “Section 1302 of title 40” for “Section 321 of the Act of June 30, 1932 (40 U.S.C. 303b),”.
Effective Date of 2003 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.