16 U.S. Code § 1447c - Regional research plans
(a) Development and amendment of regional plans
(1) In general
Each Board shall develop a comprehensive 4-year marine research plan for the region for which the Board is responsible, and shall amend the plan at such times as the Board considers necessary to reflect changing conditions, but no less frequently than once every 4 years.
(b) Contents of plan
Such marine research plan shall include—
(1) an overview of the environmental quality conditions in the coastal and marine waters of the region and expected trends in these conditions;
(2) a comprehensive inventory and description of all marine research related to water quality and ecosystem health expected to be conducted in the region during the 4-year term of the research plan;
(3) a statement and explanation of the marine research needs and priorities applicable to the marine and coastal waters of the region over the upcoming 10-year period with emphasis on the upcoming 3-to-5 year period;
(4) an assessment of how the plan will incorporate existing marine, coastal, and estuarine research and management in the region, including activities pursuant to section 1330 of title 33 and section 1461 of this title; and
(c) Plan review and approval
(1) In general
When a Board has developed a marine research plan, including amendments thereto, the Board shall submit the plan to the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Administration of the Environmental Protection Agency, who shall jointly determine whether the plan meets the requirements of subsection (b) of this section.
(2) Time for approval or disapproval
The Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, shall jointly approve or disapprove such research plan within 120 days after receiving the plan.
(3) Action after disapproval
In the case of disapproval of such research plan, the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall jointly notify the appropriate Board in writing, stating in detail the revisions necessary to obtain approval of the plan. Such Administrators shall approve or disapprove the revised plan within 90 days after receiving the revised plan from the Board.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Pub. L. 92–532, title IV, § 404, as added Pub. L. 101–593, title III, § 301,Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 2966.)
References in Text
The National Ocean Pollution Planning Act of 1978, referred to in subsec. (a)(2), is Pub. L. 95–273, May 8, 1978, 92 Stat. 228, as amended, which was classified generally to chapter 31 (§ 1701 et seq.) of Title 33, Navigation and Navigable Waters, and was repealed by Pub. L. 102–567, title II, § 204,Oct. 29, 1992, 106 Stat. 4282.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.